• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What a weekend.

Doc

Why does it always occur in threes.

Firstly the toilet broke down, traced this to the float valve, took it out cleaned it, adjusted it and still leaked so new one fitted. Next day the sink tap in the bathroom decided to leak from where the threaded rods connect to the tap, once again removed rods and wrapped PTFE tape round them, no good still leaked, so just replaced the tap. Then the day after the shower started going cold. Traced that to the thermosttic cartridge that sits behing the temperature adjuster, not allowing the water to mixed correctly, so have now ordered one of these and will fit it soon.

Amazing nothing goes wrong for nearly 10 years since putting a new bathroom in and then within a weekend three things go wrong.

I think I've found my new vocation in life, become a plumber.

It's also because it's christmas and it's designed to keep you on edge until jan 2 waiting for something else to fail

I hate plumbing jobs! You dread seeing the smallest drip! Give me electrical work any time ☺️? touch wood!

If you touch wood then you are a carpenter! :D

I hope things are ok for you now Mick. :thumbsup:

Edited by BAZ

I've just had an expansion vessel fail on our central heating.

It was only 4 years old.

The bottom line is, the quality of everything related to any sort of plumbing job these days is, in my opinion, pretty poor.

Nothing seems to last very long. I reckon its a conspiracy.

Our kitchen tap has been fixed three times in the last year - latest fix recently only 2mths ago. It's holding but on it's way out again. Next time it's gonna need a full replacement. You're right - deffo a nationwide conspiracy lol. :)

We have also had problems with a tap over the last year or two. Our nemesis was a very expensive smart looking mixer tap that is designed to swivel, spray and morph into a flexible hose type tap! Not only does it need regular replacement parts/gaskets to stop it leaking, it never seems to tighten properly onto the sink, so eventually becomes loose and wobbles. Nothing but trouble!

13 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

I reckon its a conspiracy.

I have established over years of investigation into these ever increasing plumbing problems that there is no conspiracy at all. Just two conclusions remain which are not mutually exclusive...

1. The more expensive or fancier the tap is directly proportional to the frequency it is going to leak.

2. During the night, aliens are doing invasive examinations on our plumbing systems, but they just don't have the right skills or qualifications for the job!

We have a drip, drip,tap in the kitchen as well.

Its not that fancy, hot left, cold right, and a filtered water tap in the middle which is now redundant.

One morning we came down to find water running from the cupboard under the sink.

One of the crappy plastic water pipes from the filter tap had burst / failed / degraded whatever.

We were lucky : i reckoned it had happened maybe 5 - 10 mins before we came down.

Had it gone in the middle of the night, i'd have had to put the wellies on !! :wacko:

So the mixer tap was isolated pending repair, which never happened : we now get filtered (and cold)

water from our fridge which is plumbed in and has a water and ice dispensor.

So the tap is still there, but its had this dripping problem for most of this year.

It started off as a couple of drips per minute.

I timed it a while ago at one drip every 10 seconds.

Now its one drip every 5 or 6 seconds.

Before you ask, i have changed the washer in the spout, but to no avail.

So, as its 10 years old (not bad considering todays poor quality materials) it may be time for a new tap.

These things are expensive. I'm aware you can easily spend £500 on one with fitting, maybe more.

So, do i want a new tap, or a new 21 Ethos ? I need to prioritise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much of a weekend but since November when we decided fully we were going to move house.

Within a day of the decision the washing machine broke, needed a new one.:wacko:

In the really bad rains towards the end of November water was coming into an upstairs cupboard ceiling, turned out to be a bust roof tile and a hole in the felt.

Pranged my van:(

Fell out BIG time with the neighbours who have been disrupting our lives with a foundation up rebuild of the house next door for a year now with still no end in sight:angry:

Then to cap it all yesterday morning the ceiling in our spare bedroom was bulging ready to come down, a leak in a water pipe coupling decided to make its presence known all of a sudden. I spent a few hours sorting the plumbing and getting a dehumidifier in place but a new ceiling is needed now:(

Beat that :D

That'l teach us for talkng about moving when the house is listening

Edited by philjay
  • Like 1