• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Backyard Nikon

Mitt

Thinking of purchasing the above,mainly for the benefit of being able to focus better.Does anyone know what cable i need to connect the camera (D90),

to the laptop?,is it the same cable that comes with the camera for transferring the images to a computer?

Regards,

Mitt.

Yes Mitt its the same cable for the Nikon you use for file transfer. I'm using Backyard EOS and can say its a really superb piece of software. Before getting my canon, i was using a Nikon D3100 with a free to download program, that has direct Nikon control called DigiCamControl depends what you want. I've also tried APT but my preference is Backyard EOS/NIKON. If you watch the lengthy tutorial on the O'Telescope its the same software for Nikon and Canon

Hi Mitt. Have played with control software including a beta of backyard Nikon a while back and one thing to consider is weather or not it supports full bulb mode control.

With my d5000 the max exposure that could be controlled via usb was 30s (i.e. slowest shutter speed not bulb) This was a problem with how nikon implement usb and not with the software.

Worth checking and trying demo versions 1st if at all possible.

Not taken pics or tried the software in a while though but doubt it s been overcome. May depend on your camera version if I remember correctly.

HTH

Steve

Mitt

if you check directly on otelescope website it has a link for supported cameras (right tab) on product info. It shows your D90 as live view supported, Bulb mode via serial cable, no mirror lock and as “Tested”. I’m a big fan love this software

• 2 months later...