• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Merry Christmas

tuckstar

Merry Christmas everyone. Hope you all have a great day and hope Santa's brought you everything you wanted.

I didn't get my 999mm solar hydrogen alpha 'scope. I think the etalon was damaged when Santa was in the Large Hadron Collider. Sensitive things, these Fabry-Perot etalons.

We had a pleasant, lazy day. The sort of one I prefer these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I was in the North East, I visited Sunderland Astronomical Society's observatory, based on the Washington Wetlands - used to be the Washington Wildfowl Centre.  It's a lively group of keen astronomers who meet there every Thursday and Sunday, all year round. That's quite a proactive practical hand on group.  I had a look at the first quarter moon through their 14" SCT. I couldn't see any boiling on the image. It was a freezing cold night.  I've still got sets of images to look at when I had a go at trying to capture the Panstarrs comet near Aldebaren.  Light pollution or the glare from the moon so close to Aldebaren has limited the magnitude.  But the dark level is otherwise very good when the moon isn't present.

The Society was recently victim of thieves, reported elsewhere on the Society's Facebook page and shared with other groups.  Fortunately the big scopes were not damaged, which would have been heart breaking considering they ground an 18" mirror and made a Dobsonian mount for it.  But a 127mm refractor was stolen.  Anyone spotting a suspicious sale, should contact the society.