• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Eyepiecemania

Tweedledee

It is always nice to have a good variety of different eyepieces. But how about a variety of approximately one inch focal length eyepieces. Was just checking my stock and found the following kicking around...

23mm 55 degree TS Optics
23mm 62 degree Aspheric
25mm 50 degree SW LER
25mm 35 degree Huyghenian
25mm 49 degree Fujiyama HD Orthoscopic
25mm 50 degree Celestron Plossl
25mm 100 degree Explore Scientific
26mm 52 degree Meade Super Plossl
26mm 65 degree Erfle
24mm 47 degree Celestron Kellner
27mm 53 degree SW Extra Flat
28mm 45 degree Edmund RKE

I see that my ~1" focal length range is severely deficient in the 65 to 100 degree region. Will just have to scour ABS and eBay for some bargain Panoptics and Naglers.

Is it time to seek professional help? :huh:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Is it time to seek professional help? :huh:

We have been saying that for some time Pete. :D

We wish you luck, but sadly your affliction is incurable :)

So you only have 23-28mm EP's ?? What about the 10 -20mm range and 30 - 40mm range??

Interesting??   :unsure:

35 minutes ago, Ron Clarke said:

So you only have 23-28mm EP's ?? What about the 10 -20mm range and 30 - 40mm range??

Interesting??   :unsure:

No Ron, those eyepieces represent one third of my eyepiece collection. I now have 36 eyepieces in focal lengths ranging from 4mm to 56mm. I think I have all the angles pretty well covered. :)

I just happen to like eyepieces. :rolleyes:

Was pretty fed up a couple of days ago when I lost an auction by $2.50 for a University Optics 40mm 70 degree ep in the USA. The auction ended at 2am our time and I thought I had it in the bag and went to bed early! :(

1 hour ago, Smithysteve said:

We have been saying that for some time Pete. :D

We wish you luck, but sadly your affliction is incurable :)

:rofl:

1 hour ago, Graham said:

No it's time to get a camera :rofl:

I want a camera that takes snapshots down to magnitude 20 in about three seconds! :)

This is an old photo. I've sold several and bought several since then :)...

epssmall.jpg?raw=1

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Was pretty fed up a couple of days ago when I lost an auction by $2.50 for a University Optics 40mm 70 degree ep in the USA. The auction ended at 2am our time and I thought I had it in the bag and went to bed early! :(

What you need is Goofbid ,this is how it works ,register on goofbid -search item on ebay use the item number to input into goofbid ,lets say you would pay £50 set that as maximum you can define how many minutes/sec it waits until the end to bid ,i used to bid 5 seconds until it ended ,if say your maxinum bid is passed before your near the end of auction goofbid will alert you giving you time to up bid should you wish ,it will not bid until you tell it .

https://www.goofbid.com/

I love eyepieces as well so I know how you feel, it's a madness that sets into your mind :lol:

I used to have a large collection as well, but I sold most of mine. What I'm after now is a set of Clave's and a set of Zeiss CZJ Ortho's.

2 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

What you need is Goofbid ,this is how it works ,register on goofbid -search item on ebay use the item number to input into goofbid ,lets say you would pay £50 set that as maximum you can define how many minutes/sec it waits until the end to bid ,i used to bid 5 seconds until it ended ,if say your maxinum bid is passed before your near the end of auction goofbid will alert you giving you time to up bid should you wish ,it will not bid until you tell it .

https://www.goofbid.com/

Thanks David, I will give that a go. :thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

I love eyepieces as well so I know how you feel, it's a madness that sets into your mind :lol:

I used to have a large collection as well, but I sold most of mine. What I'm after now is a set of Clave's and a set of Zeiss CZJ Ortho's.

It certainly is madness Mick, but a nice madness. :)

I have top dollar waiting for a Leitz 88 degree and a Rodenstock Giant. If anyone has either of those gathering dust please let me know. :)

Looking at your 1 inch - 23-28mm collection Pete, i think there is definitely room for a 24mm Panoptic.

Believe it or not its Tele-vues best selling eyepiece, and there must be a reason for that.

If i had to choose a favourite one in my set the 24Pan would be my choice i think.

1 hour ago, Ron Clarke said:

How on earth do you choose which EP to use on a clear night??

How you any favourites??

Ron

Hi Ron, my favourites are definitely the big 2 inchers on the back row of the photo. I have one ali case that holds the ES 25/100, TV Ethos 17/100, ES 9/120 and the Speers Waler 8.5 to 12mm zoom which actually has a constant 85 degree FOV, pretty good for a zoom. These eps usually keep me entertained for a while. In fact looking at almost any object through these puts a big grin on my face and causes involuntary gasps and expletives to exit my mouth in the middle if the night. :D

Sometimes I take out a selection of my little 1.25" eps and put four of them in a Baader Q-turret for easy switching between them. The 1.25" eps can make a nice change instead of lugging out the heavyweights, some of which are too big to even stuff in a pocket!

It is nice to have choice. I can also enjoy bringing them out just to look *at* them. :rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, Doc said:

The last Leitz 88 I saw for sale was on Markus Ludes site APM. He sometimes has a Rodenstock as well.

They also come up from time to time on Astromart so I paid my $15 subscription. Usually people are asking real big money, though a while back I did see a Rodenstock Giant on there that had already sold for just $260 with some internal fungus on the lenses, so needed some TLC.

47 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Looking at your 1 inch - 23-28mm collection Pete, i think there is definitely room for a 24mm Panoptic.

Believe it or not its Tele-vues best selling eyepiece, and there must be a reason for that.

If i had to choose a favourite one in my set the 24Pan would be my choice i think.

I've never looked through a Panoptic Rob. :)

I have thought about paying the $15 for Astromart but most of the adverts say they will only post to CONUS 48 which I persume means 48 states in the US.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I have thought about paying the $15 for Astromart but most of the adverts say they will only post to CONUS 48 which I persume means 48 states in the US.

Once you've subscribed you can contact the seller by email to arrange suitable shipping fees. I suppose some might not want to ship abroad though.

There seems to be some quality and unusual stuff on there. I've just been in contact with a guy on Astromart selling a big eyepiece with a 67mm diameter eye lens! :blink:

1 hour ago, Tweedledee said:

There seems to be some quality and unusual stuff on there. I've just been in contact with a guy on Astromart selling a big eyepiece with a 67mm diameter eye lens! :blink:

You may need Therapy for this affliction lols:rofl:

1 hour ago, Bottletopburly said:

You may need Therapy for this affliction lols:rofl:

Not me! The guy must be totally off his head actually wanting to sell It! :D :screwloose:

28 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Not me! The guy must be totally off his head actually wanting to sell It! :D :screwloose:

What's the eyepiece Pete.

It is an old 52mm focal length eyepiece made by Paul Rini and gives the largest FOV available in a 2" format. Apparently it may be the only one ever made and nothing seems to be available on the internet about it. He told me today that I'd missed the boat and he'd sold It! :(

Al Jaegers Optical! That is a name from the past that had pretty much left my memory altogether. They also did erfles and orthoscopics and refractors I think. Don't think they ever had much presence in the UK, mainly just the US. Thanks Mick, will have a closer look at that.:thumbsup:

I see a someone sold a Leitz 88 degree for $1300.00 on Cloudy Nights back in August 2017!! :o

2 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

I see a someone sold a Leitz 88 degree for $1300.00 on Cloudy Nights back in August 2017!! :o

Better get saving then Pete :lol: