• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Eyepiecemania

Tweedledee

I'm fairly sure i'm not suffering from eyepiece mania.

Its over 4 years since i purchased my 13mm pair.

I did try out a pair of zooms, but didn't get on with them and they have since been sold.

Its scope mania that i'm currently afflicted by.......

Heres my current crop of 7 eyepieces and 3 others.

38798214934_c79110dc79_b.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 2

Very nice Rob. :thumbsup:

Is there a reason why the Paracorr doesn't have any green on it? :)

The Paracorr is a recent buy Pete, i got it second hand for a very good price from a chap in Derbyshire.

And its in mint condition ; it looks like its hardly been used.

I don't know why theres no green on it, but i believe the 'parrot logo' on it glows in the dark !!

I've not even had chance to use it yet.

But i thought it would make sense to get one with me having an F4 Newtonian.

I discussed them with John Pemberton, at OO who actually said that i may not even need one when using Tele-vue eyepieces.

And apparently (i didn't know this) its best to collimate with the Paracorr in place.

And as you may know, the Paracorr introduces a small 'Barlow effect' of 15% (i think)

So my F4 Dob becomes an F4.6 Dob.

They seem pretty easy to use though, for me its 'setting A' for my 2" eyepieces, and 'setting D' for the 1.25"ers.

More info here...

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/astronomy/paracorr 

I will be interested in comparing the views with the Paracorr / single eyepiece

to that with my binoviewers.

With the Mk V i have to use a dedicated Newtonian 1.7x corrector ; more amplification than i would like.

But this Baader corrector also corrects for coma.

With my Earthwin system, that has its own "OCS - optical corrector system" built in. 

This amplifies even more at 2.4x but you then employ one of 2 reducing lenses to give 1.9x and 1.2x options.

I'm not sure though if you'd class the Earthwins OCS as a bona fide coma corrector as such, but i will compare 

and see how they all perform. But maybe with my 50+ year old eyes i may struggle to notice much difference ! :lol:

Edited by Bino-viewer
typos

You certainly have a fine set of quality optics and the Paracorr might even be redundant, you might want to consider selling it on to me :).

The act of barlowing or amplifying with a powermate may also help with reducing coma.

There's a lot more to these Denkmeier binoviewer systems than I thought, now you've prompted me to look at the website. :thumbsup:

The best thing about something like the Denkmeier Binotron 27 (other than the eyepiece holders, which are amongst the best available)

is the option of a 45mm lens in the OCS which is a big improvement with a fast Newtonian.

I think the one in my Earthwin (Denk 2) is 40mm.

I have purchased stuff from both Bill Dankmeyer at Earthwin and Russ Lederman who runs Denkmeier optical and both are easy to deal and order with.