• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Apollo talk

Dean Watson

Hi all, I'm supposed to be doing a talk in February for my local astronomical society (Peterborough) on Project Apollo.  Its something I know a fair bit about but the problem being given the relative breadth of the subject i'm at something of a loss as to specific subject matter/topic/schedule of the talk, that is to say, what do I actually cover 45 minutes with in a structured way without just blathering on (which I'm more than capable of).

Any suggestions?

You'll soon fill 45 mins. 

Start with a bit of history, mercury and Gemini projects and the space race. Bit about the engineering involved then concentrate on 11 and the first landing then some of the issues, ie 13. Then tail it off with why they stopped. Make sure you have plenty of back ground knowledge for that one person who knows everything and wants to test your knowledge.  Good luck and I hope it goes well.

Add to the above, talk about how the technology was extended out in to the Apollo Applications programme, and what happened to the redundant hardware from 18,19 and 20.