• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter + Mars conjunction in Libra (07.01.18)

Bino-viewer

Very nice Rob. You made the effort even after working late last night. :thumbsup:

Did you look at it through a scope?

That must have been a treat Rob! ?

I zoomed in on the pair and it might just be my brain working expectantly, or atmospherics, :blink: but methinks i can see a hint of the northern band on Jupiter... ! 

• Like 1

I've always loved following planetary conjunctions following them in the days before as they get closer & closer.

I hadn't realised that they were going to be this close though

As i was watching it i indeed wished i'd got up an hour earlier and set a scope up.

I was a bit zombie like with less than 5 hours sleep though, and they'd be thermal issues, and it was freezing and i was in a dressing gown and slippers....

I'm making excuses......:(

Here's another conjunction to whet your appetite.....

Jupiter (now in Libra) and Saturn (now in Sagittarius)

Go forward nearly 3 years and Jupiter will have 'caught Saturn up'

The date :  December 21st 2020.

Jupiter will pass a mere 6' arc minutes to the south of Saturn when they'll be in the constellation of Aquarius.

I can't wait ! And i definitely will have a scope ready for that ! :telescope:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

That must have been a treat Rob! ?

I zoomed in on the pair and it might just be my brain working expectantly, or atmospherics, :blink: but methinks i can see a hint of the northern band on Jupiter... ! 

I saw no banding, but you could detect Jupiters oblateness even with my 200mm camera lens.

I could almost detect a couple of Jupiters moons as well, although my eyesight isn't what it once was.