• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

back yard 7-1-2018

Ibbo

Tak FS 102

here you go Mick.

Set up and first target was m42 with the 16mmm

A little to be seen but maily washed out.

Swap to 5mm then 3.6 and the E pops in and out of view no luck with F

Over to M45 looks quite good as it should but not happy with the view white stars no hint of any nebula

Back starting to ache a bit.

I have the Haas double star book so started in Orion with

SHJ49 wide split very easy - no colour 

Pi 3 Ori found it but no colour

back getting worse come in for a sit down and a filp on the imaging rig.

this no colour is a bit of a theme I also noticed the other night.I'm putting it down to the street lamp.

Will try again later and further into the west away from the lamp and also try a shroud over my head.

One of the worst reports you will read.

Edited by Ibbo
  • Like 2

Love reading these reports! Thanks Steve! ?

Hope your back is ok! You need to be a contortionist in this game! :)

ben out for another hour or so and now we are further away from the street lamp its a bit better.

much better view of M42 and picked up E easier this time.

Down to try M41 to find the garage roof in the way

back up to M78 and a little glimmer

then up to xmas tree cluster

M35

over to the eskimo dim sphere

M36,37&38 and then to M45 again and much better

now over to thing i dont do to frame and in for a warm while it gets a bit higher.

Err, something is odd here, Steve using a refractor with an eyepiece :-) Glad you got a session in mate more than I've been able to do lately

41 minutes ago, philjay said:

Err, something is odd here, Steve using a refractor with an eyepiece :-) Glad you got a session in mate more than I've been able to do lately

I know mormal service will be resumed shortly.

You need to be careful with your back. At least with imaging you can always have the screen in a comfortable position. :)

Nice report Steve, I hope you enjoyed those dim, barely visible fuzzies. :thumbsup:

Not sure about Gamma Orionis being double? Gamma is pretty much Lambda upside down, γ λ . Maybe that was it. :)

1 hour ago, Tweedledee said:

You need to be careful with your back. At least with imaging you can always have the screen in a comfortable position. :)

Nice report Steve, I hope you enjoyed those dim, barely visible fuzzies. :thumbsup:

Not sure about Gamma Orionis being double? Gamma is pretty much Lambda upside down, γ λ . Maybe that was it. :)

CDC shows at as a double but can't find any other reference to it, looked online ,The Sky and Burnhams

guess what i was using to drive the scope last night?

must have been a field star then

Thanks pete

Untitled.jpg.962dd7bf29e5b7ca8957ab0aca9bf984.jpg

Edited by Ibbo

They've probably discovered some 21st magnitude companion at 0.01 arcseconds then, but I couldn't find any mention of it being double. :thumbsup:

I still find it fun splitting optical doubles even if there's really a few hundred light years between them.