• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Stellarium 17

Tweedledee

Just installed Stellarium 17. Seems to be a nice upgrade once you've tinkered with and saved the settings. I was previously on version 15 so I must have missed one.

There are lots of new DSO names, at least new to me. Don't know where they get them from :rolleyes:. For instance Messier 78 is "Casper the Friendly Ghost Nebula" and Messier 35 is "The Shoe-Buckle Cluster". Lawnmower Cluster, Fuzzy Butterfly, Widows Web, Doormouse - there are loads to find. Someone has a vivid imagination. :D

Similarly they must have scoured the almanacs for more star names, lots that I've never heard of, but mostly sounding a bit Arabic.

A very interesting new feature has appeared - The Astronomical Calculations Window. This seems very powerful. You can search for events like planetary conjunctions, calculate distances between different celestial bodies, draw various types of graphs, search and filter objects visible at certain times and lots more.

There are more DSO catalogues, bookmarks?, DSS integration, and and no doubt other features that I haven't found yet.

It annoys me that they still have cluster Collinder 36 plotted in totally the wrong position!!! :evil: If you can put up with that discrepancy it is well worth downloading. :2thumbsup:

• Like 2

Thanks Pete, all good to know, I have stellarium on the laptop, but tend to use Skysafari on the iPad etc.

Have you ever used the carte du Ciel program Pete?

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

Thanks Pete, all good to know, I have stellarium on the laptop, but tend to use Skysafari on the iPad etc.

Have you ever used the carte du Ciel program Pete?

Cheers!

I tried CDC a while back and just never got into it, mainly because I was already very familiar with Stellarium which did everything I wanted such a program to do and I knew it inside out. Similar story with SkySafari. I couldn't see a reason to spend more time on the learning curve with anything other than Stellarium. From what I can see, Sky Safari gives a lot more info about objects within the program, which is very useful, but because I'm not proficient at using all the features, I stick with Stellarium and refer to google/Wikipedia if I need more info. 

I like CDC but like you Pete have used it for years.

prefered V3 to the new V4

Not keen on Stellarium but as I'm using it in the planetarium I need to learn a bit more about it.

I like the Sky 6 with the NJP but it annoyingly crashes noe I have maxpoint running again The Sky I have worked out how to plan mosaics with.

I am sure the others do it but have not found out how to do it

Edited by Ibbo

7 hours ago, Ibbo said:

I like CDC but like you Pete have used it for years.

prefered V3 to the new V4

Not keen on Stellarium but as I'm using it in the planetarium I need to learn a bit more about it.

I like the Sky 6 with the NJP but it annoyingly crashes noe I have maxpoint running again The Sky I have worked out how to plan mosaics with.

I am sure the others do it but have not found out how to do it

I always thought that CDC was preferred by imagers.

I also used to think that if you could afford the top version of The Sky, there was not much point even bothering with a telescope or a camera. Just look at "The Sky". :D

That first line meant to say like you with stellarium

The sky is an old V6 version

The jist of the post is you like what you are used to using

Edited by Ibbo

10 hours ago, Ibbo said:

That first line meant to say like you with stellarium

The sky is an old V6 version

The jist of the post is you like what you are used to using

Do you need a degree in computer programming to download The Sky 6 from the Software Bisque website? The download part of the website seems very disorganised with no information or instructions about downloading. There seems to be a hundred and one things to click! I need a big button saying "CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE SKY 6"! Is it just me? :rolleyes:

Is there any wonder why I stick with Stellarium? :D

Edited by Tweedledee

Mine was 5 on a disc and then upgrade.

used Stellarium in the dome today and the kids like it .

Why does pegasus look like the donkey out of shrek and taurus looks like daisy the cow?

Edited by Ibbo

Cheers Steve.

10 minutes ago, Ibbo said:

Why does pegasus look like the donkey out of shrek and taurus looks like daisy the cow?

You have a vivid imagination. :D

I suppose that if the constellations had been named in modern times rather than over the last 2000 years then Shreks Donkey and Daisy may well have been official. I mean, who would ever dream of naming one "The Charioteer" or "The Herdsman" nowadays. You need an extremely good imagination for Antlia the Air Pump or Caelum the Sculptors Chisel and a few others. :D

Thanks I’ll try installing the update this weekend. Does it work any better with eqmod or do you still need the dragon thing