• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First light with 16”

Smithysteve

What a fantastic job you've done there Steve. :2thumbsup:

It must have been such an exciting first light, you must be very proud how you've pulled it all together. The cart looks very stable. Lovely report. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

You have given an old scope a new lease of life, and with the effort and work you have put into it, there is years of life left in it now. I think it's quite possible the mirror is better now than the original. Well done Steve, I look forward to your future reports. 

• Like 1

It looks awesome Stephen, love the trolley, and the setting circle is ingenious as well.

Makes we want to track one down and do the same mods as you have.

• Like 1

Impressive stuff Steve !

You have done yourself proud there :thumbsup:

The trolley looks great. Nice work !

I use a B & Q 'Dolley' to move my own Dob about, but as its only a 12" its a bit easier to manage.

• Like 2

On 08/01/2018 at 23:38, Tweedledee said:

What a fantastic job you've done there Steve. :2thumbsup:

It must have been such an exciting first light, you must be very proud how you've pulled it all together. The cart looks very stable. Lovely report. :thumbsup:

On 09/01/2018 at 07:32, Doc said:

It looks awesome Stephen, love the trolley, and the setting circle is ingenious as well.

Makes we want to track one down and do the same mods as you have.

On 09/01/2018 at 10:09, Brantuk said:

Well done Steve - it looks smashing. And you've made a fabulous job of the rocker box. :)

On 09/01/2018 at 11:15, Bino-viewer said:

Impressive stuff Steve !

You have done yourself proud there :thumbsup:

The trolley looks great. Nice work !

I use a B & Q 'Dolley' to move my own Dob about, but as its only a 12" its a bit easier to manage.

On 09/01/2018 at 06:01, BAZ said:

You have given an old scope a new lease of life, and with the effort and work you have put into it, there is years of life left in it now. I think it's quite possible the mirror is better now than the original. Well done Steve, I look forward to your future reports. 

Thanks for the comments everyone, I am really pleased to have a working scope at last! I am still buzzing from the Sunday night session to be honest. Memories of the observed objects just keep popping into my head  :)...

Also, setting the scope up in the dark, working with the setting circle and Wixey, the joy of finding out that the scope was delivering beautiful views of stuff, that it actually worked, was a real relief! Also, it dawned on me what future delights lay in store as I quickly ran through my mind the potential targets for the year ahead.

It’s been a long process to get to this stage and i am still spending several hours most days continuing with mods and tweaks. One thing leads to another, but each tweak will enhance time spent at the eyepiece.

I can honestly say that my ambitions for acquiring a big scope, the mods, like flocking, setting circles, the Wixey, the rocker box replacement and many more things, came mostly from EMS members and their inspiring helpful posts! So thanks, ? you all know who you are!

15 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

One thing leads to another, but each tweak will enhance time spent at the eyepiece.

A fan on the beck of the mirror is a useful addition (if you don't have one already). It really does make a big difference visually. :)

Thanks Kim, a fan is in place, but I don’t have a battery pack for it - yet!

That’s another thing on my list ??

Sounds amazing. On M32 and M110, I have seen them both in my 127mm Mak but keep forgetting which one is which.

Did you try a focal reducer? I'm sure it would be a great help for most DSOs.

34 minutes ago, Sunny Phil said:

Sounds amazing. On M32 and M110, I have seen them both in my 127mm Mak but keep forgetting which one is which.

Hi Phil, thanks for your comments, M32 looks closer to the core of M31, and is smaller, rounder and brighter than the quite elongated wispy M110. I can get all three in the FOV using my ES 40mm, 68 deg. A FOV, giving me 1.5deg. TFOV, (well, not all of M31 can be seen, just the bright core ?).

I have a Meade 6.3, focal reducer for the LX200, but not the 16” Dob, but the 16” is quite fast at 4.5 fl.

cheers!

On 14/01/2018 at 11:11, Sunny Phil said:

Not a good idea with a fast Newtonian Phil.

If you were to add say a .63x focal reducer (and i'm not sure if you could) you'd end up with a F2.8 focal ratio which would give some iffy views,

and too big an exit pupil, limiting Steve to something like a 10-15mm  eyepiece.

To achieve the best option for widefield (and image brightness) with an F4.5 its best to use something like a 20 or 25mm ES 100 degree. Or a 21 Ethos. Something like that.  

I have avoided the 25mm 100° es. It seems it is the runt of the litter. Can highly recommend the 20mm although you may well get some coma.

6 minutes ago, tuckstar said:

I have avoided the 25mm 100° es. It seems it is the runt of the litter. Can highly recommend the 20mm although you may well get some coma.

My ES 25mm 100 is one of my favourite eyepieces and always performs superbly and gives a completely awesome view. No complaints here Andy. :)

That's good news Pete. I keep seeing reviews saying it's not as good as the others. Might make it back on the someday list after all.

I wouldn’t mind trying the ES 20 or 25 mm. 100deg. Ep’s out at some point ?

My 20mm Nagler, is a favourite of mine, it gives me 82 deg. AFOV, a TFOV of about 56’, an exit pupil of 4.4mm and 91x magnification, the Uwan 28mm is excellent too, but I do wonder about a 100deg AFOV. Ep.:)

The 20mm in my 250/1200 gives me 1.7°. It's a joy to look through. You would be welcome to try them but I don't think you will want to drag the 16" to a darksite! This is what I'm aiming for at the moment.

astronomy_tools_fov

Still the 5.5 and the 30mm 82 ° to get.

Edited by tuckstar

I think any eyepiece with a 100º deg fov and especially given its cost, its going to be pretty special to look through.

I've only ever looked through one i think : a 21mm Ethos.

I've also looked through an ES 30 / 82. We have one in our DDAS society.

Its excellent, and through my eyes, the same as my 31Nagler.

With a scope like Steves though, i'd lean towards a 21E or an ES20/100

rather than the ES 25/100. I think it may be too big an exit pupil at 5.5mm

Great if you have young eyes though.

I'm 50 and i have quite small pupils so my optician tells me.

I've tried my 31N with my F4 Dob, and to my dismay (but not surprise) i simply cannot use it.

But here is a different and perhaps a more compelling option :

Buy a Denkmeier binotron 27 binoviewer, and 2 pairs of quality eyepieces.

Then with its powerswitch, you have 3 magnifications with just the one pair of eyepieces and the joy of observing with both eyes. 

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 1

Well, I would love the 21mm Ethos, who wouldn’t, just looked at the price tag at telescope house £810.00.

The ES20/100 is more attainable at £423.00 

looks like I will have to settle for the 20mm Nagler etc for now, but I have started saving £2 coins again! :)

Maybe I will get the chance to compare views with mine and the 21mm Ethos etc, If i can lug the scope to a meet - which i plan to do at some point ??

Edited by Smithysteve

8 hours ago, Brantuk said:

A WO 28mm Uwan is fabulous in the 16" Lightbridge - especially with dso's. :)

Agreed that's the combination I used to use all the time.

9 hours ago, Brantuk said:

A WO 28mm Uwan is fabulous in the 16" Lightbridge - especially with dso's. :)

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

Agreed that's the combination I used to use all the time.

Thanks guys, it’s all good stuff!

just waiting for the next good opportunity, and getting together a nice long list of potential targets... :)