• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Flame to M42 planning required...

fwm891

Shouldn't have made a snap decision to try this. Started going wrong with the camera angle then went completely wrong after the pier flip...

Think I'll go to the drawing board first for this project and not expect to do it in one sitting...

M42-Flames-test.jpg

• Like 2

Ok, I guess it’s a learning curve Francis! But it’s still worth looking at, so thanks for sharing! ?

Very nice. Go for it and work out to include M78 and Barnards Loop. I love these widefield mosaics. :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Very nice. Go for it and work out to include M78 and Barnards Loop. I love these widefield mosaics. :thumbsup:

Including that lot will need more hours of the clear stuff than we'll get for a few weeks  (years) I guess :)

3 hours ago, fwm891 said:

Including that lot will need more hours of the clear stuff than we'll get for a few weeks  (years) I guess :)

I remember several years ago Olly Penrice and friends posted a fantastic 400 hour mosaic covering the whole constellation of Orion. You could get lost just panning around and zooming in to different parts. :)

Edited by Tweedledee

5 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

I remember several years ago Olly Penrice and friends posted a fantastic 400 hour mosaic covering the whole constellation of Orion. You could get lost just panning around and zooming in to different parts. :)

If I had his vista and number of clear nights I'd give it a go - I haven't and miracles don't happen round here!

34 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

If I had his vista and number of clear nights I'd give it a go - I haven't and miracles don't happen round here!

Well, looking at your recent images, you're certainly doing a grand job and making the most of what you get Francis. :thumbsup:

Francis,

What I see so far is fantastic, and really interesting.

I'm inexperienced in doing thiese wide field shots, so it looks from the replies that you are doing a series of shots in a mosaic and combining them.

Firstly, what camera you using, presumably it's modified becasue of the excellent colours?

How do you control where the shots are in the mosaic. Is this done manually, or computer controlled?

Presumably you do multiple shots on each part of the mosaic and then stack them in DSS or the like..

Thanks..

I still reckon all this AP and processing is a dark art incorporating real magic, but far more complex and time consuming than anything in Harry Potter. Only a few have the gift. I'm just a muggle, but can appreciate the beautiful images. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

Francis,

What I see so far is fantastic, and really interesting.

I'm inexperienced in doing thiese wide field shots, so it looks from the replies that you are doing a series of shots in a mosaic and combining them.

Firstly, what camera you using, presumably it's modified becasue of the excellent colours?

How do you control where the shots are in the mosaic. Is this done manually, or computer controlled?

Presumably you do multiple shots on each part of the mosaic and then stack them in DSS or the like..

Thanks..

Dave, This one is a standard unmodified DSLR (Nikon D800E). I'm using a Baader UHC-S filter which luckily fits inside the field flattener on the scope. I'm using SG Pro to control and point the mount although with something like this mosaic being essentially a straight line (If I get the camera angle right!). The scope is 807mm focal length onto the Nikons FX chip giving me about 2½ x 1¾ degree field of view. I wouldn't want to try this with a long focal length scope and small chipped camera. I'm processing this using Adobe Lightroom to convert the RAW files into a 16 bit tiff's with some colour correction (as LR is very good at handling colour shifts), then I use Infinity Photo to stack and refine the colour balances - export the files from Infinity as tiffs and assemble the mosaic in Photoshop CS3. Each of the 4 frames are made up of 8 x 5 min subs at 800 iso.

I now need to plan a little better and take more sub frames at each position. I think 5 mins at 800 iso is about right for my set-up.

Best way to begin is to just take a few frames on a star field (M45 is good) shift the scope slightly and repeat what you did first. Put the two individual sets together in DSS then put the two stacks together in Registar? Haven't used either of these for ages so not sure about Registar! Backyard Nikon (presumably the EOS version also has a frame and focus feature) which simplifies frame overlaps.

Francis,

Thank you. I hadn't realised that this sort of thing was even possible. I have a Vixen mount with goto, so at least in priinciple I can try some of this. If we ever get a clear night of course! Musn't complain, had two clear night this week.

Cheers, thanks for your help, and the picture, which is inspiring..