• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Any Coin or Note collectors out there....?

Bino-viewer

I wouldn't say i was a collector  of UK or foreign currency coins.

But i find it interesting (and fascinating) that there are currently 37 different UK £2 coin designs in circulation as an example.

Some of these are very rare and quite valuable.

50P coin designs are even more numerous : i believe there are in excess of fifty different ones.

I myself am interested in old UK banknotes.

One day i intend to start a collection, but as yet its not got off the ground.

Last year it very nearly did when i almost parted with £35 for a rare, and mint UK £10 from the late 1960's

It was a beauty, and i wished i'd brought it. (my other half thought i was a bit mad wanting to buy a £10 for £35. She also thinks i'm mad standing in a cold field looking at stars and planets :lol:)

This was the note in question. Anyone remember them....?

25802587978_a6151382f9.jpg

But anyway, i wanted to show you this.

My sister has just given me a belated Xmas present.

Its a limited edition 50p coin celebrating the 375 yr anniversary of the birth of Sir Issac Newton.

It of course has an astronomy type theme. 

39643456552_a09dd21a31.jpg38965158944_64cb2287c3.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 1

If the interest is there Rob why not make a start and see if it becomes a passion, i know a couple of people at my astro club who collect British currency, not sure if it’s coins or notes that float their boat.

i am not a big fan of the plastic notes currently in use, they are too slippery and feel odd in the pocket etc!

Edited by Smithysteve
  • Like 1

I too can appreciate coins and notes but never made it into a hobby and don't know much about them. There was usually some astro gear that I wanted to collect more than currency.

I don't remember the exact note above, but that and your Christmas present could be the start of a new interest. :thumbsup:

Once I did start trying to collect every different type of £1 coin, but then lost interest and spent them. 

Somewhere in my loft I have some mint presentation packs of decimal and pre-decimal coinage bought in about 1971 and a few other commemorative coins including 50p and crowns etc. They were bought by my parents for me. Also a small selection of oldish British and foreign coins and notes none of which I've seen for over 20 years. 

Must clear out that loft sometime and find those coins and other forgotten things before the ceiling falls in. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

If the interest is there Rob why not make a start and see if it becomes a passion, i know a couple of people at my astro club who collect British currency, not sure if it’s coins or notes that float their boat.

i am not a big fan of the plastic notes currently in use, they are too slippery and feel odd in the pocket etc!

I actually love the new £5 and £10 pound notes Steve.

Ok, they are a bit on the slippery side but i never complain too much if i have a few of them in my wallet.

I actually think the new £10 is a work of art. 

Quite beautiful even, and i always break into a £20 if i have one before i reluctantly part company with a pristine 'Jane Austin'.

Going back to the Sir Isaac Newton theme, think back in time just over £35 years ago.

Remember the last pound note ? And who was on the back ??

25819208178_c14333173a.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting that chart Mick. Thats very interesting.

I've guessing a lot of the sporting designs relate from the 2012 London Olympic games ?

Here below, is a link i've found after researching old UK note currency.

They deal is pretty much everything.

http://www.britishnotes.co.uk/?page=home

I cannot actually say I have ever studied the design of the new notes Rob! I will look a lot closer after your complimentary comments. Maybe I will get used to the feel in time.

I felt saddened when the £1 note was stopped. It sort of devalued the pound, replacing it with a coin! Same with the 10 shilling note too come to think about it.

Thank goodness we didn’t go for the Euro back in the day..., it nearly happened! 

cheers!

Trip down memory lane......

I'm just, only just. old enough to remember the old 10 Shilling note.

I've never used them but remember my parents had them.

39691547661_4082564ba6_z.jpg

When i was a bit older though, i remember getting plenty of these in birthday cards from grandparents.

This is the older version from the late 60s - mid to late 70s

39660302552_c844be91e9.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

• 3 weeks later...
Not a collector but always check my 50ps in case that kew gardens one turns up.
I just knew something like this would come up. I have just recently last year, bagged up several years worth of change. There were lots of 50p pieces which I noticed of different designs. I was persuaded to bag them and cash them at the bank. As a coin collector when I was a lad, I should have known this would happen. I literally cashed in bags of them, plus pound coins and 1, 2, 20p. I am gutted to think there could have been a rare collector's 50p in there.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

On 15/01/2018 at 16:14, Bino-viewer said:

Trip down memory lane......

I'm just, only just. old enough to remember the old 10 Shilling note.

I've never used them but remember my parents had them.

39691547661_4082564ba6_z.jpg

When i was a bit older though, i remember getting plenty of these in birthday cards from grandparents.

This is the older version from the late 60s - mid to late 70s

39660302552_c844be91e9.jpg

I remember these soooo well! 

When I was ten, yes 54 years ago, I lost a ten shilling note on an errand to the shops for my mum. I was gutted! My parents and it seemed half the village were out looking for it! Of course it was not found by us, but I have never forgotten it! ?

I'm not surprised Steve, theres nothing worse than losing your hard earned cash.

My dad told me 'a ten bob note' was a decent amount of money back in the day, and you could have a night out with one !