• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Birding trip to the Nene Washes.

Doc

Just got back from a birding trip to the Nene Washes. Firstly drove around the farmlands surrounding Thornley in Cambridgeshire to see if we could see the Rough Legged Buzzard that wintered around the area. Checked out all the spots it had been seen but no luck.

The time was then edging towards 15.00 so we drove to Eldernell on the Nene washes. We didn't need to leave the car park, there was so many birds to see. We saw loads of wild fowl but the best were:

Cranes x6

Short Eared Owls x5

Barn Owls x3

Merlin

Peregrine

Buzzard x2

Kestral x3

Bittern

Whooper Swans x30

At one stage all five Short Eared Owls were in the air at once, and as close as 30 metres, really awesome sight that was.

• Like 2

That's a good days birding Mick! 

Great place for birding Mick, it must be a couple of years ago since I met you there?

Looks like you had a good productive enjoyable day! ?

Presumably the 5 short eared owls were a family?

On 1/14/2018 at 18:44, Doc said:

Just got back from a birding trip to the Nene Washes. Firstly drove around the farmlands surrounding Thornley in Cambridgeshire to see if we could see the Rough Legged Buzzard that wintered around the area. Checked out all the spots it had been seen but no luck.

The time was then edging towards 15.00 so we drove to Eldernell on the Nene washes. We didn't need to leave the car park, there was so many birds to see. We saw loads of wild fowl but the best were:

Cranes x6

Short Eared Owls x5

Barn Owls x3

Merlin

Peregrine

Buzzard x2

Kestral x3

Bittern

Whooper Swans x30

At one stage all five Short Eared Owls were in the air at once, and as close as 30 metres, really awesome sight that was.

awesome day out nice spotting 

That ssounds fantastic Mick, the Short Eared must have been amazing. Just spent the day at Potteric car near Doncaster. Lovely bright day, and not as cold as we'd thought, but poor birds really, not a sign of the bittern, but did get whooper, little egret and kingfisher.

Also in the week saw Hawfinch at the church in Darley Dale and the Great Northern Diver on Carsington water..

I saw Hawfinch at Rufford last monday, cracking birds Dave.

Haven't been to Potteric for at least 3 years, I enjoyed my last visit.