• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EQ5 PRO connecting issues

Sureshot

Hi just started this hobby so be gentle, at the moment the standard goto works fine but the issue is the auto guide won't talk to Windows7 on laptop been all over youtube but nothing .Its not showing com ports system 34 error any help would be appreciated

As Graham said but what guiding software are you using?  If it's PHD 2.0 then I suggest you try the 1.2 version??

Edited by Ron Clarke
add text

Hi running windows 7  PH2 (PH1 didn't work either) ,mount didn't show up either on stellarium so I'm thinking its my laptop not showing the com ports.

You need to install Eqmod first and the ascom drivers this is what connects your software to the mount so they talk to each other , cable required is this one https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

Eqmod link here http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/  install this first assuming you haven’t done already , get this working first then phd2 should work once configured 

just make sure your  eqdirect cable is a fdti type as per link .

So what I have set up is EQ5pro with goto syncscan, orion guide scope and a ZWO ASI camera attached to this. Cables into Sycnscan are Hand control, power and auto guide- auto guide out to ccd scope from ccd via usb into laptop I was told this is all I need and will work fine (no mention of buying new cables(well known company)

1 hour ago, Sureshot said:

So what I have set up is EQ5pro with goto syncscan, orion guide scope and a ZWO ASI camera attached to this. Cables into Sycnscan are Hand control, power and auto guide- auto guide out to ccd scope from ccd via usb into laptop I was told this is all I need and will work fine (no mention of buying new cables(well known company)

The simplest way is to lose the synscan handset ,you will use a planatarium software such as Carte du ciel ,stellarium to name a few to slew to targets,install  EQmod,Eqascom drivers ,plug eqdirect cable from mount to pc ,(I USE A USB HUB AT MOUNT TO CUT DOWN ON CABLES FROM MOUNT TO PC) so guide camera plugs into usb hub(in my setup)along with  EQdirect cable there is no need for  a st4 cable on camera to mount . Basically you press on a target  in your planatarium software an mount slews to target , thats the basics of it .

http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-setting-up-an-equatorial-mount-on-ascom-with-eqmod-stellarium-and-cartes-du-ciel.html

Edited by Bottletopburly

Hi Nick

I have the same setup you are talking about. Ok so this is my setup for guiding. I use the software PHD2. For the correct drivers for your ZWO camera you can download them directly from the ZWO website if you don't already have them. So you have the Sync Scan hand controller plugged in to the box on the mount for power and dec/ra connection. This leaves the port auto guiding free. This guiding port must be connected to the other port on your camera called ST4.

Once you have PHD2 installed and the drivers installed you can select from the software the correct equipment and connect it. For the mount you must select "On Camera" for it to work. Or the alternative is as Bottletopburly advices but you will need to buy a special lead called a EQdirect cable.  

PHD2 Settings.jpg

IMG_2579.JPG

IMG_2580.JPG

2 minutes ago, Alec said:

Hi Nick

I have the same setup you are talking about. Ok so this is my setup for guiding. I use the software PHD2. For the correct drivers for your ZWO camera you can download them directly from the ZWO website if you don't already have them. So you have the Sync Scan hand controller plugged in to the box on the mount for power and dec/ra connection. This leaves the port auto guiding free. This guiding port must be connected to the other port on your camera called ST4.

Once you have PHD2 installed and the drivers installed you can select from the software the correct equipment and connect it. For the mount you must select "On Camera" for it to work. Or the alternative is as Bottletopburly advices but you will need to buy a special lead called a EQdirect cable.  

PHD2 Settings.jpg

IMG_2579.JPG

IMG_2580.JPG

Yes thats it ,theres a few ways it can be done,:thumbsup:down to personal taste 

Exactly personal taste. I have both options eq direct or using the st4 port. For a more mobile version i prefer the st4 option. I've actually got rid of the sync scan controller and use a wifi adaptor in its place this is connected to SkySafari and the Sync Scan app on my tablet. A PC is required only for guiding nothing more.