• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

SHARPCAP PRO / PHD2

Alec

For some time I've been looking for a more accurate and simple way of Polar Alignment. As many of you know I'm all for gadgets/ software to make life easy. Having already used Sharpcap for a while I've upgraded it to the Pro version for a measly £10/ year licence purely for the Polar Alignment element to be unlocked.

Clear skies last night and so a perfect time to try it out. Have to say it really is a perfect, well thought out piece of software. Has an idiots wizard that you follow and just takes you through the process. Anyways results total time taken no more than 15mins and I'm extremely fussy on accuracy! After that i tried PHD2 locked onto M45  to see if all my guiding errors had gone. Left it guiding for 60 mins and really just a flat line :)

SHARPCAP POLAR ALIGNMENT.jpg

PHD2 TEST .jpg

• Like 3

I've been using the sharpcap method for a while and it really is Good and easy to do, and a lot cheaper than a qhy polar scope.

Exactly thought i would give it a go as the qhy system is pushing well over £200. Probably the best £10 I’ve spent on Astro