• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Advice/Suggestions Re:New OTA

catman161

Hi All, 

It's been a long while since I have had time to come on here! I have been dabbling still just in garden at home with both the big setup and smaller grab and go from time to time. Mainly though I have been looking after my daughter and studying for a masters degree in medical science whilst also working full time! 

So i have been doing astro for 6 years now and as some of you may know am mainly into planetary imaging but am partial to visual also. When I first started out I had the 200P mounted on an NEQ6 Pro. I used that in combination with various TV powermates to get some passable Jupiter results in with OSC cameras, mainly the ZWOP ASI120MC.

I was fortunate enough some time ago now to upgrade my setup to A permanently housed (roll off shed) pneumatic pier mounted AZ-EQ6 Pro with an Altair Astro Planeta 250 Truss-Cassegrain OTA which has  native FL of F18! I have the ASI224MC now.

Now as we are all aware the earth is not currently, and won't be for a while in the best position for those of us that like planetary imaging. I have found myself wanting to do more of what I used to do with the mounted 200P, that is more visual stuff. I used to remove all the imaging paraphernalia (Extender/powermate/flip-mirror/camera etc) and pop a TV ethos in the focuser and scan the night skies looking at open and globular clusters. The Planeta is certainly not the best scope to do this type of thing. 

So, what I am asking of you more experienced astro-people is if I am to sell the Planeta, what OTA's should I consider that will tick the box of good for planetary imaging (+/- use of powermates/barlows/extenders etc) but also good for doing a bit of visual stuff as described above? 

The planeta is in good condition and I think I would easily get circa £2,000 for it so budget would probably be around that. 

Look forward to hearing suggestions. 

Thanks 

Hi Felix long time no see.

You really need a scope you can mount on your AZ-EQ6 so my suggestion is a refractor similar to the one I use. It's a triplet so should be good on planets and lunar as there is no false colour at all. But it's also big enough for most of the deep space stuff. The 120ED Esprit is widely used for astrophotography as well.

The other option would be a C9.25 or C11, out of those two I would prefer the C9.25.

Edited by Doc

Thanks Mic  Yeah the C11 had crossed my mind. Trouble with a larger refractor is the length as my roll shed is limited in its width. I have to be able to leave the OTA mourned and be able to get it through the doors of the shed. It’s a squeeze with the Planeta. I have to have the clutches loose in RA/DEC and manoeuvre it through then tighten them up again. 

Ayup Felix, good to hear from you again mate.

As a died in the wool dirty visual monkey soI am going to tread the middle line here and I would go for the 9.25 as well. I haven't owned one, but they are highly regarded, apparently better than the 11" as well. I am sure someone who has more experience would either validate that or put a hole in my boat! :D

Just go fully visual and get a nice big Dob! :D

Let us know how you get on.

Hi Felix, good to see you back on here! A Masters in medical science, a truly  geeky qualification!!

I'd also go for 9.25 if space is an issue, could put a photo up of the  Planeta scope, it's a new one to me.

Take care

Ron

I have a C11 and it is getting heavier as I get older , but it does provide some good views, but is very seeing dependant.

I also have access to an 8" meade SCT and that gets used more as I can throw that around with one hand.:D

If you go the SCT route do get an upgrade for the standard focuser.

Edited by Ibbo

Hi Felix nice to see you on here again.

I would recommend a nice big refractor any day but as you are a seasoned reflector man then plus one for the C11 or 9.25. As Steve says the C11 is a bit of a handful but if its on a permanent set up that shouldn't be a problem. I used to haul mine around quite a bit and never dropped it :D The lunar and planetary views it gave were excellent and it gave great account of itself on DSO as well with plenty of aperture to pull in the fainter stuff. I have used a 9.25 regularly in the past and that too is a good scope, excelling on planetary.

• Like 2

Hi Felix, good to see you posting again. :)

A good refractor could be nice, but I think an SCT might be better because they are bigger but compact and very good all rounders.

Otherwise build an extension onto your run-off shed and put a massive dob in it. :D

Hi guys, 

Thanks for all your responses. It seems a lot of people are recommending the C9.25 and t would fit perfectly in my current scope housing. 

Defintely the the one I am leaning towards at the moment. I have seen one on ABS second hand in great condition for £800  and it’s the XLT HD version which is a steal I think. 

On 30/01/2018 at 19:23, Ibbo said:

I have a C11 and it is getting heavier as I get older , but it does provide some good views, but is very seeing dependant.

I also have access to an 8" meade SCT and that gets used more as I can throw that around with one hand.:D

If you go the SCT route do get an upgrade for the standard focuser.

So Steve, when you talk about upgrading the focuser. Would you recommend upgrading the existing one to say a feather touch micro focuser version or adding in a Crawford style focuser to visual back? 

Welcome back Felix

For visual a nice big refractor  (Doublets are all the rage : Altair do a 125mm thats had rave reviews.)

But an F8 +  refractor in 5" or 6" class is a big scope.

A C9.25 is alot of scope for the money. You could think about one of those ADC thingys for imaging ?

For ultimate visual with Frac / SCT whatever, simply add a Binoviewer in to the mix ;)

3 hours ago, catman161 said:

So Steve, when you talk about upgrading the focuser. Would you recommend upgrading the existing one to say a feather touch micro focuser version or adding in a Crawford style focuser to visual back? 

crayford or rack and pinion depending how much you are going to hang off the end of it.i use a moonlite on the back of mine for planetary and visual.

Did I say the v word -ignore that.

Edited by Ibbo

Yeo, crayford on tge back. Not really convinced about the benefits of microfocusers, ok it gives you finer control but you still have mirror shift

Cool thanks guys. I was thinking that a crayfird would be a good idea. I have a moonlite DC motor laying about so looks like a moonlite crayfird will be on order :) what’s the standard thread on the back of a C9.25? Will a standard 2 inch moonlite SCT crayford suffice? 

11 hours ago, Brantuk said:

Welcome back Felix :)

Hey Kim :) 

Looks like have a potential deal going through with my Planeta and also secured a C9.25 as well. Fingers crossed all goes through with my Planeta and will in near future be owner of a C9.25. Expect lots more questions from me when I finally get my hands on it! I can’t imagie it should be all that different from my Mak 127?? 

13 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Welcome back Felix

For visual a nice big refractor  (Doublets are all the rage : Altair do a 125mm thats had rave reviews.)

But an F8 +  refractor in 5" or 6" class is a big scope.

A C9.25 is alot of scope for the money. You could think about one of those ADC thingys for imaging ?

For ultimate visual with Frac / SCT whatever, simply add a Binoviewer in to the mix ;)

Oh yes I already have a ZWO ADC :) 

• Like 1

I'd be interested in your opinion on the ADC Felix ?

I don't know a whole lot about them, only the basics.

Can you use them visually ?

If so, would it be an asset when viewing the big 3 this summer ?

Definitely useful for both visual and imaging for sure. I haven’t looked back since getting mine.