• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

All set up and hoping for a supernova

Doc

Scope is all set up cooloing down. It's a tad windy though so we shall see how things go.

I'm after the supernova 2018PV in Ngc3941. It's right at the limit of my scope maybe even beyond it at Mag 12.7.

Looked up my specs and my scope has a limiting mag of 12.2 so it's going to be close

So fingers crossed.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2

Not a chance. I found the area where the Ngc3941 resides but couldn't see any of the galaxy core or the supernova.

So done some doubles instead, will post a report tomorrow.

Has now risen over house so having a go with Narrowband 10 min subs see if I can see anything 

The Webb Society and Owen Brazel reckon you will need a 20-24" to get a decent view of it. I would loved you to have bagged it, then even I might have had a pop at it. Might get it from a darker site though, being bang in the middle of Nottingham don't help.

I reckon you could have seen it in your scope Mick. If you'd set it up a few miles into your local desert or up a nearby mountain above the cloud level under those mag 7 skies. ;)

Well done for making the effort. :thumbsup:

I know that it's mag 12.7, but it's never as bright as it's posted mag. I know that it's spread out across it's entire surface, but some of the fuzzies I have looked for should have been well within the capability of my scope, but sometimes I can't even see them. I suspect that even thought the supernova has increased it's brightness, I reckon it's going to be a tricky one visually.

• Like 2