• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Do I need an HA filter?

RonC

I am using my Canon 1000d with a CLS clip filter fitted and a SW Skyglow 2" filter to clear some of the AP from my garden location.

Would I be better off fitting a 2" H Alpha filter instead and what are the pro's and con's of these filters please?

Thanks

Ron

Edited by Ron Clarke
Spelling!

Interesting that you would leave the LP filter in as a 12Nm and up ( or is it down ) to say a 6Nm HA filter should block all LP out as standard.

In fact giving it further thought 

Why are you using two filters in line that are designed to take out the same sort of light transmissions.

The more glass you put in front of the chip the lower the resolution ( if that is the correct word ) reaching the chip and the more problems you can create for yourself.

Your right, never thought of it that way, next session I'll remove the 2" filter and see what the result is like!

Still think I might get a H Alpha filter though.. this one maybe?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skys-the-Limit-2-Night-Sky-H-Alpha-Premium-High-Transmission-filter-with-data/162360506964?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

When I played with the dslr and Ha I used a 12nm filter and it suffered with LP. I experimented with the CLS filter on it as well and it reduced the effect considerably.

When using my Atik I always use a CLS for the same reason.

I have mistakenly left both the clip in and the 48mm cls filters in when using the dslr and wondered where the photons went :D

At 40Nm it is very very wide.

I use a 6Nm filter with my Atik..

Personally I would go for a 12Nm filter with your Canon.

Admittedly it will cost you a lot more money but the difference will be like chalk and cheese.

I have a 1.25 12Nm filter here if you want to try it Ron before you shell out loads of money. 

Thanks Graham, not sure how I could fit that in the image train?

I realise it's a wide filter but I didn't too narrow a filter and I have to watch the pennies! maybe I'll wait for a S/H filter to turn up?

Thanks Phil, glad you found your photons again!

Cheers

Ron