• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

IC 1795 Fish Head Nebula in Ha

Allan the Plumber

Have had a few optic images (see post on SGL about swirls on scope optics doing LRGB imaging) 

Quick test last night 5 x 1200s Ha subs 

Darks Flats and Bias

Quick process in Pixinsight finished in Ps6

Work in progress thanks for looking

40432829682_155b7339af_b.jpgFishhead Nebula by Allan Young-Hares, on Flickr

Edited by Allan the Plumber
wrong image

It looks fine to me, not that I know what I am looking for mind you. That said the stars are pin point right down to the faintest one's in the large image.

1 hour ago, BAZ said:

It looks fine to me, not that I know what I am looking for mind you. That said the stars are pin point right down to the faintest one's in the large image.

This is what i mean Martyn

40479574881_ff2462e072_b.jpgM101 by Allan Young-Hares, on Flickr

15 minutes ago, BAZ said:

Ah, right. What causes that then Allan? It looks like you have cleaned the lenses with a wet dishcloth.

I need a professional person to help me clean the optics think I may of damaged them ?

Hi Allan. I think the swirls look too in focus to be caused by a dirty objective lens. I'd expect a dirty objective to cause an overall loss of contrast or flaring of bright objects. I'd suspect something closer to the sensor or maybe even a processing artefact. 

1 hour ago, Sheila said:

What did you clean them with ??

The Badder wonder fuild and ultra distilled water when the Wonderf fluid wouldn’t work

12 minutes ago, Werisit said:

Hi Allan. I think the swirls look too in focus to be caused by a dirty objective lens. I'd expect a dirty objective to cause an overall loss of contrast or flaring of bright objects. I'd suspect something closer to the sensor or maybe even a processing artefact. 

I’m doing some new Darks as I’m wondering like you mention that this could be an processing artefact but it’s strange it started after I moved onto LRGB instead of Narrowband and when I cleaned the objectives (not showing up in Narrowband )

4 minutes ago, Graham said:

What scope, camera,  filter combination are you using. 

Gt81 Astrodon LRGB filters and the Atik 460ex

plus 1 for it not being objective, this is either processing, or sensor. Even filter muck would not be so well defined. The further from the sensor the less sharp/defined the artefact.

30 minutes ago, philjay said:

plus 1 for it not being objective, this is either processing, or sensor. Even filter muck would not be so well defined. The further from the sensor the less sharp/defined the artefact.

Just been and checked the reducer and ccd chip glass. looks like possible swirlling on reducer/flattener have clean with badder wonder fluid now just need a clear night :brr::facepalm:  

hope it clears it, but i never use water on any of mine as it dont evaporate quick enough and you can never dry it completely.

I stick with the baader fluid or the large bottle of pure isopropyl alcohol I have has its much cheaper :) 

2 minutes ago, Sheila said:

hope it clears it, but i never use water on any of mine as it dont evaporate quick enough and you can never dry it completely.

I stick with the baader fluid or the large bottle of pure isopropyl alcohol I have has its much cheaper :) 

Thanks Sheila Yes when i mentioned Wonder Fluid I had really used PURE Isopropyl alcohol after originally cocking up the cleaning with Baader Wonder Fluid thought it easier to put that instead of typing Isopropyl alcohol.

Bought the very Pure distilled water as thats what an optics cleaning company suggested but that I think is more for dust etc rather than marks.

It appears when I removed the lens cell from the GT81 and I screwed it back in after its first proper clean, I got grease from the lens hood thread onto the optics, apparently this happens to refractors more often than people think.

After a bit of panicking I was advised what to get, ie the above mentioned PURE Isopropyl cleaner,99% pure distilled water, lens cleaning one use tissues and fiber free lens cleaning clothes.

Well got main lens as clean as I could apparently maybe id not cleaned the reducer properly as after Phil suggested this just cleaned I hope this will be the issue