• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Coloured moon 25-Feb-18

Touring Taurean

Hi all,

I'm just starting out in astrophotography so lots to learn. Took this last night (25-Feb-18) and quite pleased with it as a first attempt.

Taken with a Canon EOS 70D at ISO100, 1/320sec, on a Skywatcher Explorer 150PDS 6" Newtonian f/5 reflector. Single image processed in Photoshop to get colouring then a minor tweak in Registax wavelet 2 to sharpen.

Any thoughts on how to improve gratefully received.

Thanks.

moon true colour registax.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Iain, I am just a visual monkey so cannot help you with constructive criticism, but I know what I like, and I like your image, particularly along the terminator. Nice one! Cheers! ?

Hi Iain, visual here as well, but if you are just starting out, I can't wait to see what you produce when you get better! :D  That's a great image.

For a single sub that is a spectacular win.

The secret is loads of subs /images / frames call them what you will stacked together into a single image. 

By stacking multiple subs you reduce the noise. 

Great - many thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Thanks Graham for the info. I did take some video on my DSLR with a view to stacking the images but I couldn't work out how to import that into Autostakkert as the the DSLR video file format was .mov and AS seemed to not allow that. Assume I have to convert the .mov in some other software before uploading to AS?

Thanks,

Iain

3 hours ago, Touring Taurean said:

Great - many thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Thanks Graham for the info. I did take some video on my DSLR with a view to stacking the images but I couldn't work out how to import that into Autostakkert as the the DSLR video file format was .mov and AS seemed to not allow that. Assume I have to convert the .mov in some other software before uploading to AS?

Thanks,

Iain

You don't need video. 

You can take loads of single shots and stack those.

Just make sure you are capturing in RAW format. 

Get yourself a copy of Deep Sky Stacker. 

If you have not got it already. 

It's a free bit of software. 

Edited by Graham