• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The moon in leicester

tuckstar

Wow, that should be quite spectacular to look at close up. 120 dots per inch resolution! Then you can try to imagine that it is really half a million times bigger. :thumbsup:

It looks fabulous, I saw it on last nights news. It must look amazing up close!

Is it an inflatable sculpture? It is too big to travel as it is!

20180317_14324820180317_143346

20180317_14341520180317_143458

20180317_14352420180317_14361620180317_14373020180317_145153

A few photos from my visit to the Moon. Tried to get one from every angle but it was very tight. Shame you couldn't get a bit higher for a better look. Very detailed model but just pictures, no profile to features. The last one is king Richard 111 tomb. It was worth a visit, and I bet the talks that were held in the week would of been good, followed up with a walk around the museum as it was only 5 min walk away.

• Like 3

Ditto, I went down with my son in law and grandson, enjoyed the moon, and the cathedral, also went to the Richard III center, which was fascinating... a good day out!

I bet that was an impressive sight close up. :thumbsup:

You could have done with a fish eye lens inside there. :)

Was the imagery (mountains and craters) rendered in 3d or was it a photographic image on a perfect sphere?

What struck me was the observational perspective, we are used to seeing the moon ‘side on’, whereas ones view in the cathedral was mostly from below... however, being so close to the globe gave the viewer a true 3D stunning effect of the moon against our usual 2D perceptions of 3D. ?

I assume the sphere is inflatable, a cathedral guide told me the whole thing came packed in a 6’ crate, and it has an internal faint source of illumination for evenings etc.

There was a 20m queue outside the cathedral most of the day, but it only took a minute or so to get inside as admission to the moon and cathedral was free.