• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Pc set up phew

Bottletopburly

New pc for son arrived ,had to install ssd and os ,its a beast  could not get windows to activate even  though genuinely bought, now solved after posting problem on SGL ,there is someone who will always know the answer ,result one happy lad ,plays world of tanks at 120fps , elite dangerous 100fps  knocked down to 60fps ,Arma3 60fps   

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

• Like 3

I hardly post as I'm not very active in astronomy anymore, but PC gaming is a passion of mine. :)

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

Plays everything flawlessly, including Elite Dangerous in virtual reality. If you haven't tried it, you should, but be prepared for nausea! :D 

It's a never-ending money pit though. :unsure:

What case do you have? It's a nice bit of kit that.

28 minutes ago, Craig said:

I hardly post as I'm not very active in astronomy anymore, but PC gaming is a passion of mine. :)

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

Plays everything flawlessly, including Elite Dangerous in virtual reality. If you haven't tried it, you should, but be prepared for nausea! :D 

It's a never-ending money pit though. :unsure:

What case do you have? It's a nice bit of kit that.

The case is a Corsair carbide series 4  all from Dino PC

Primal Comet Ryzen Gaming Package

1 x AMD Ryzen™ 5 1500X CPU (Quad Core, 3.6GHz - 3.7GHz, 16MB L3 Cache)

Air CPU Cooler1 

1 x Cooler Master Hyper 103

Warranty1 

1 x Corsair Vengeance® LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black

Graphics Card1 

1 x NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB Graphics Card

Motherboard1 

1 x Asus PRIME B350-Plus (Socket- AM4, 4X DDR4, ATX)

Operating System1 

1 x No Operating system installed

Storage HDD / SSHD1 

1 x No storage drive - I will install my own

Optical Drive1 

1 x No optical drive included

Add-on Card1 

1 x Addon Wireless PCI Express Adapter NWP300Ev4

Case1 

1 x Corsair Carbide SPEC-04 Black/Red Tempered glass (No Optical, ATX)

Power Supply Unit1 

1 x Corsair VS Series™ VS650 — 650 Watt 80 PLUS®

Case Lighting1 

1 x GameMax RGB Controller + Two 30CM RGB Strips

Thats a very nice set up you have ,is yours water cooled ?

My son bought and installed a super new graphics card a while back for his gaming desktop computer.

His new graphics card alone has more processing power and ram than the rest of the several other laptops we have in the house added together!! :rolleyes:

Wasn't 640kb all we were ever going to need at one stage? ;)

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Craig said:

1.jpeg

Gotta love the sphero bb8. Had hours of fun with mineB)

@Bottletopburly Very nice spec!

The CPU is water cooled using a closed loop, but the rest is air cooled. There's a 360mm radiator in the front of the case, with three 120mm static pressure fans on it, and a single 120mm fan on the rear for exhaust. It's a decent cooing solution and keeps the whole thing cool even under load (Photoshop, Lightroom, VR, etc.).

I have:

• Intel Core i7 8700K, overclocked to 4.8GHz
  • MSI Z370 Gaming Carbon Pro AC motherboard
  • Corsair H150i Pro RGB AIO CPU cooler
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DD4 RAM @ 3200MHz
  • Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 drive
  • Sandisk PLUS 480GB SSD drive
  • MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11GB
  • Coolermaster Masterbox 5 MSI themed case

The weak link in the kit is currently the monitor, which is quite old but is a 23 inch IPS panel running at 4ms grey to grey response time, 60Hz refresh and 1920*1080 resolution. I want to go to 144Hz, possibly 165Hz, at 2K resolution, but it has to be an IPS panel because of photography. That makes it a somewhat expensive investment to upgrade. I should have done it last month, but the Oculus Rift caught my eye instead. Maybe I'll upgrade the monitor in a few months!

I love it when I find somebody on my wavelength to nerd with a bit!

15 hours ago, tuckstar said:

Gotta love the sphero bb8. Had hours of fun with mineB)

Best Xmas present ever! Did you ever watch the movie with yours? 

Nice PC Craig, almost Identical spec to mine. I also have an Oculus Rift, it's pretty amazing, although initially quite nausea inducing. Lone Echo was interesting and Arizona Sunshine was great fun, trying to survive in the desert, shooting zombies, what's not to like.

Discovering Space II, is an essential program, very immersive in VR.

23 minutes ago, newtyng5 said:

although initially quite nausea inducing

I'm still in the honeymoon period so I am still suffering! :lol: It's getting easier, but I did dive in the deep end with Elite Dangerous.

23 minutes ago, newtyng5 said:

Discovering Space II, is an essential program, very immersive in VR.

I'll check it out, cheers. :D

@Craig thats a great bit of kit my lads mad for his gaming ,elite dangerous and arma3 are his favs ,i put a 750gb ssd drive that we had and used a copy of win 10 i had already to save some money so he could get more kit for his budget .

8 hours ago, Craig said:

@Bottletopburly

Best Xmas present ever! Did you ever watch the movie with yours? 

I seem to remember trying it but he didn't do much. Did you? What did he do for you?

6 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

@Craig thats a great bit of kit my lads mad for his gaming ,elite dangerous and arma3 are his favs ,i put a 750gb ssd drive that we had and used a copy of win 10 i had already to save some money so he could get more kit for his budget .

That's the best way.

I built one a few years ago for myself, an Intel Core i7 4770K with GTX 970. It's dated by today's standards but is plenty capable of playing most titles, so my other half has inherited it now. I put a couple of SSDs in to give it a bit more life and she's happy enough! :D

4 hours ago, tuckstar said:

I seem to remember trying it but he didn't do much. Did you? What did he do for you?

He reacts to certain scenes, such as when a character dies... He leans forward and makes a solemn sound. It's very entertaining!

14 hours ago, Craig said:

I built one a few years ago for myself

Couple of pics of my PC.

I used to build them years ago. I just tend to upgrade and take them to bits now :)

In fact I am selling a coolermaster 850watt silent pro modular psu, 8gig hyperX genesis ddr3 ram, and a Asus VG248QE 24-inch 3D LED Monitor - 1080p, 80000000:1, 144 Hz, 1ms monitor on Gumtree.

Stuff from my old pc.

A geek and a nerd and proud :respect:

pc3.thumb.jpg.9b119de6df6d338429062c889d9820ab.jpg

pc2.jpg

Edited by newtyng5
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, newtyng5 said:

selling

I never sell anything. I have a PC part graveyard. :facepalm: