• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Soldering problem

Bottletopburly

Using the soldering iron other day no problem let it heat up soldered no problem last night used it couldnt  solder properly think the iron not getting hot enough solder was hitting iron then beading into little balls , anyone any ideas of problem 

Is it a solder you have used before? That could also be a lack of flux problem, the fact you have melted it into smaller balls suggests there is heat there, whether it's enough or not I don't know. But it sounds like it isn't flowing properly. Maybe try another solder, if that doesn't work, then it it could be the iron.

I used  flux , I will try some different solder see if that does the trick  I got it from maplins ??

16 minutes ago, BAZ said:

Is it a solder you have used before? That could also be a lack of flux problem, the fact you have melted it into smaller balls suggests there is heat there, whether it's enough or not I don't know. But it sounds like it isn't flowing properly. Maybe try another solder, if that doesn't work, then it it could be the iron.

What are you soldering?  I was assuming this was something electrical, in which case you should use a pre-fluxed muliticore solder, that is the flux is already in the solder. But it sounds like you are trying to do something either bigger or more metalwork based. Then it becomes a whole different ball game. It depends on what metals you are trying to solder, some won't even take solder and sometimes different fluxes have to be used. It might also be that the material is acting as a heatsink and taking all the heat out of the area, which would explain the balling effect on the surface.

Let us know what you are after doing.

Crossed posts! :D

I was soldering a jack socket , my mates given me some good quality solder flux inside stuff  , he solders small electronics at work certainly looks better than what I had , also don’t use the flux (copper pipe stuff ) so will retry over the weekend with a clearer head , maybe the flux and cheapo solder don’t mix , every days a school day all a learning curve :takeabow:

More than likely lack of flux, I use a separate flux in addition to the solder even if it has flux in it, or the soldering bit needs a wipe/ clean... sure you will sort it! ?

19 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

More than likely lack of flux, I use a separate flux in addition to the solder even if it has flux in it, or the soldering bit needs a wipe/ clean... sure you will sort it! ?

Yes iron my need a clean I’m sure it’s a school boy error :facepalm:

Hmm managed to get what I need done not convinced the iron works properly I’m going to get my mate to have a look at it and see what he thinks , I’m assuming once iron is at temp you wouldn’t have to hold solder on it for ages would you? 

130PDS Cooling fan

No

If it up to temperature it should be near enough instantaneous for the solder to melt.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Graham said:

No

If it up to temperature it should be near enough instantaneous for the solder to melt.

Then there's definitely a problem graham 

5 hours ago, andyboy1970 said:

Usually beads happen when the Iron is too hot.

Good to know Andy , read some more reviews on screwfix and getting too hot seems to be the problem, so people’s iron  tip broke off or bent so it’s going back today and change for another make they have started selling a CK one . 

New soldering iron came what’s the better tip to use the one that’s installed looks quite big 

New tools for the armoury

@Graham oh and led lights too 

Depends on what you are soldering. 

The bigger the job the bigger the tip needed.

For circuit stuff I would use the small round one. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Graham said:

Depends on what you are soldering. 

The bigger the job the bigger the tip needed.

For circuit stuff I would use the small round one. 

cheers graham