• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Car damaged in car park

Bottletopburly

So parked car in the queensgate car park peterborough  today came back to a post it note on car saying contact car park information desk , car park staff had information i'm assuming from another shopper   that a black X type jaguar reg xxxx  had hit my car  and drove off not massive damage but paint work will need sorting few scuffs on it  on the front bumper , now i'm insured fully comp so no problem there ,though the incident may be on cctv as a  camera was only about 30ft away ,what is the best way forward on this matter ,do i just let my insurer sort it ? , how the car was hit i don't know i was parked before you go down the ramp ,set back so who ever hit me must have damaged the underside of  their car as they went over the kerb and its a good drop maybe 8-10 inches  BTW car is taxed checked on dvla 

Edited by Bottletopburly

Let the insurance company deal with it.

As I understand it.

It was on private property so you would have to do anything about it on your own.

If it is on cctv they wont show it to you ( or shouldn't ) under data protection laws.

That would entail police / court order  ect all paid for out of your pocket.

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Graham said:

Let the insurance company deal with it.

As I understand it.

It was on private property so you would have to do anything about it on your own.

If it is on cctv they wont show it to you ( or shouldn't ) under data protection laws.

That would entail police / court order  ect all paid for out of your pocket.

Thanks graham claim submitted i will let them sort it ,such a pain whoever did it must have damaged their cill as they had gone over the kerb going down the ramp so bit of a drop  mines only minor stuff but will still need touching up  and spraying  ,i was the second car bumped in that car park today 

Edited by Bottletopburly

That's quite a tight fit kind of car park at Queensgate, I had my car damaged there a few years ago (not enough to warrant the Insurance company getting involved!

2 minutes ago, Ron Clarke said:

That's quite a tight fit kind of car park at Queensgate, I had my car damaged there a few years ago (not enough to warrant the Insurance company getting involved!

mines not massive damage few scuffs wont polish out though gone through the paint in a few places ,thing is there was plenty of space not for an idiot driver though it seems 

Edited by Bottletopburly

Insist in writing that your insurance company obtain the security camera footage promptly from the car park owners. Typically, it's not kept for very long. I had this happen at a set of lights once in MK. Another car jumped the lights as I was pulling away and he hit the front of me. Late at night, his word against mine, he claimed I'd jumped them. The junction was covered by cameras, so I asked my insurers to get the footage. They failed to do so (didn't even try) and tried to split the claim 50/50. I dug my heels in and eventually they apologised for not getting the footage, covered the damage and took the claim off my records.

The funny thing was I had separately approached MK council and the highways agency to see if I could get the footage myself. They told me it was only kept for a week, but when they checked, it turned out that the cameras weren't operational anyway! Of course, the insurers didn't know that because they never asked...

Alan

28 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Insist in writing that your insurance company obtain the security camera footage promptly from the car park owners. Typically, it's not kept for very long. I had this happen at a set of lights once in MK. Another car jumped the lights as I was pulling away and he hit the front of me. Late at night, his word against mine, he claimed I'd jumped them. The junction was covered by cameras, so I asked my insurers to get the footage. They failed to do so (didn't even try) and tried to split the claim 50/50. I dug my heels in and eventually they apologised for not getting the footage, covered the damage and took the claim off my records.

The funny thing was I had separately approached MK council and the highways agency to see if I could get the footage myself. They told me it was only kept for a week, but when they checked, it turned out that the cameras weren't operational anyway! Of course, the insurers didn't know that because they never asked...

Alan

Currently awaiting to see if cctv caught incident, I believe cost will the be below excess so I won’t claim , I can approach Their insurer myself but my insurer can only approach theirs if I make a claim , only police can get the footage if there is any ( data protection ) phoned 101 said go to police station and get form,  wife enquiries ies they say go to Peterborough police station they have a different form , all a pain to be honest .

car park has caught incident on cctv ,so that's a plus

I’m sure the road traffic act stipulates you must exchange details to any body who has sufficient grounds to need them, and if that’s not possible, then you must report it to the police. In 24 hrs.

So I would make sure the insurance company follow this up with the details the carpark obtained.

38 minutes ago, Daz Type-R said:

I’m sure the road traffic act stipulates you must exchange details to any body who has sufficient grounds to need them, and if that’s not possible, then you must report it to the police. In 24 hrs.

So I would make sure the insurance company follow this up with the details the carpark obtained.

my insurance can only approach if i am making a claim ,as it is not major damage i dont really want to be claiming on mine cost is roughly what my excess is , i have emailed their insurance with all the details ,so i will see what comes back 

Could you not go through the small claims court if you don't want to get the insurance involved, you should not be out of pocket for someone who has cased you cost. Particularly if you can get cctv evidence. 

1 hour ago, BAZ said:

Could you not go through the small claims court if you don't want to get the insurance involved, you should not be out of pocket for someone who has cased you cost. Particularly if you can get cctv evidence. 

i could do i will see what their insurance comes back with