• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Are these any good?

Daz Type-R

I'm sure they are pretty good Darren. They were selling at £100 more a year or two back.

Here's a S&N review if you haven't already seen it...

http://m.skyatnightmagazine.com/review/binoculars/opticron-srga-10x50

The only thing that might not be to your taste is the fairly narrow AFOV of 50 degrees. I think you're used to a bit more than that. :) 

Ive had a few Opticron bins over the years, from entry level to posh ones and always been impressed by the quality. Looking at the original list price and the reviews I would go for them.

They probably are good. It is each to their own but I would be more inclined to go for 70mm bins. However, not everyone can hand-hold 70mm bins

Interesting that they offer two slightly different magnifications in the same size body. The x8.5 does have slightly more eye relief (23 over 19mm), though, which could be useful for specs wearers. My Pentax ones have 21mm which is OK with specs, although I normally use them without.

Alan