• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Feathertouch installation

bryand

To do my new ES 92° eyepiece justice, I decided on a Feathertouch focuser for my C9.25.

Since FLO are showing 30 days delivery for the version I needed, I ordered direct from Starlight in Indiana and it arrived today after 17 days (4 of which were Easter, so that’s good going!). Installation was well documented, but as is often the case, it’s what the instructions don’t say that trips you up:

1)      “This knob simply pulls off…”

s_2.jpg.0a4ad42d95876d5a147515752c32d56f.jpg

On my scope I had to use a flat-bladed screwdriver to lever it off.  The orange disc is redundant anyway, so the scratches on it don’t matter.

2)      “Remove this screw, but keep it handy…”

s_4.jpg.7fa9df2b894b00f8dc8561cf33055463.jpg

They don’t say that it has been Loctited in place.  After chewing the head,  I resorted to Molegrips to undo it.

3)      “Attach MicroFocuser to stop …”

The picture accompanying this step is the only one to show the spacer disc which sits where the orange disc used to be and appears to be unique to the CPC9.25 version of the focuser.  No indication of which way round it should be either and putting it in place makes adding the three fixing screws a bit trickier, especially if (as in my case) you don’t remove the diagonal.

I added the big knob which makes fine focusing a joy.  I was able to split doubles like Algieba, Castor and Comae Berenices without difficulty even in moderate seeing conditions.  A serious improvement on my previous best results so the upgrade was well worth the effort and cost.

s_7.jpg.f8bae70cc30b96633fd76013831dc07d.jpg

I’ll have to adjust the Altitude slew limit so the knob doesn’t clout the mount.

• Like 2

They are handy pieces of kit. I went the other route with my old c11, 2speed crayford. Coarse focus with cell back focuser then fine with the crayford.

2 hours ago, philjay said:

They are handy pieces of kit. I went the other route with my old c11, 2speed crayford. Coarse focus with cell back focuser then fine with the crayford.

I thought of doing that, but the added thickness of the Crayford would push the diagonal out so far it would hit the mount.

A nice mod there Bryan. I'll bet there were times when you wondered if it was a good idea, but when you have to  take molegrips to something it get's a bit "Should I stop now" moment.

Edited by BAZ

Nice job. I did mine fairly recently too.

Its the amount of grease they use on the standard focuser i found the biggest problem.

It gets everywhere. And i mean everywhere.