• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DSLR Imaging (Which one of these?)

gfletcher

Hi Guys

In your opinion which would be better for prime focus imaging through my 200P reflecting telescope?

Either a Canon 450D or a Canon 1100D ?

In the past when I have done Astro imaging I used a 350D but always had a problem with “Amp Glow”.

Your comments would be very helpful.

thanks

Graham

Ah the old amp glow, I remember it well, but not with affection. Thank goodness modern dslrs are somewhat more well behaved.

1100d is nice and compact for a dslr. With a newt its going to be sticking out a ways and will need some imaginative balancing

Edited by philjay

I've had both and the 1100d is a better camera.

Far easier for frame and focussing at ISO 6400. If memory serves, the 450D only goes up to 1600. 

Good point about the ISO .

I can see that the high ISO would be better for focusing and framing.

How do you ensure perfect focusing when imaging with a DSLR through a Newtonian?

I use 10x  live view on a bright target (eg Sirius, the Moon etc).

I also made a Bahtinov mask for my 200p, although that doesn't get much use for imaging now I have a frac

Select live view then zoom in using the same button you use for zooming in on image reviewing. Just keep pressing till you reach 10x

Edited by philjay

Toggle the top right button on the rear of the camera in when in live view mode.

Oh, Phil beat me to it.

Edited by 8472