• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bit of glass

Tweedledee

Great collection Pete.

I actually thought the new Rodenstock was a bit bigger than that although the ES 30/100 makes everything else look small i guess.

I'll put you on the spot.....

Do you have a favourite ? 

(i'm guessing though that some of them are so new, that you've not had time to properly evaluate them yet....)

21 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Great collection Pete.

I actually thought the new Rodenstock was a bit bigger than that although the ES 30/100 makes everything else look small i guess.

I'll put you on the spot.....

Do you have a favourite ? 

(i'm guessing though that some of them are so new, that you've not had time to properly evaluate them yet....)

I have 8 main eyepieces as follows...

ES 100 degree series
30mm
25mm
ES 92 degree series
12mm
ES 120 degree series
9mm
TV Ethos 100 degree
17mm
Speers WALER Zoom 85 degree
8.5 - 12mm
Myriad 110 degree
5mm
Rodenstock Giant 70 degree
40mm

I really like them all because they always provide the wow factor and show some extreme field of view with great clarity. If you read about Al Naglers Majesty Factor here...

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?return=Advice&id=114

you will understand what I'm trying to achieve with these types of eyepieces. Basically I'm after that Imax cinema view instead of the iPhone view.

My favourites to use by a small margin are probably the ES 25mm and Ethos 17mm because they give the best wow factor with a nice easy view.

The ES 30mm is just too much of a monster and needs a big scope. Though it is nice to have what is just about the most extreme eyepiece ever made.

The 9mm 120 has a stupendously wide apparent FOV. Partly due to this extreme field, the optical physics means it must have shorter eye relief than the others and is therefore not the most relaxing eyepiece to look through. Though with more practice I'm now able to use it better and get the most out of it.

I suspect that when I finally get round to trying it, the ES 92 degree 12mm will impress due to its long eye relief and easy view.

All these eyepieces pose their own problems in that they are big and heavy and I'm always worried about the greater chance of dropping them in the dark with expensive consequences. Those eight eyepieces contain no less than 70, usually large, elements of glass! They involve more effort to carry around and some won't even fit in your pocket, so I'm investing in a big case with custom cnc cut foam from this place...

https://www.trifibre.co.uk

Why couldn't I just be satisfied with a nice little set of plossls? ?

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Great collection Pete.

Thanks Rob.

The Rodenstock is the second fattest, second heaviest and feels like the densest of the lot. It weighs 1.45kg whereas the 30mm is 2.4kg!!

Apparently the Rodenstock is a modified Erfle II design with very high grade military optics and contains a meniscus lens over 3" diameter somewhere in the middle of it!

1 hour ago, Doc said:

It's a wonderful collection Pete. What's next on the shopping list?

Cheers Mick, I'm pretty chuffed with those big eyepieces.

I think I have most of the angles covered now with some good quality eyepieces.

Still got my eye on some large classic eps like the Leitz 30mm 88 degree, of which there are 6 variations, and a Jaegers 38mm tank eyepiece.

I'm still looking for an opportunity to get my hands on the latest, or older, versions of the image intensified eyepieces that are causing a stir among US astronomers. I've read some fantastic reviews on this technology, but sadly they're illegal in the UK. Even Televue are now producing adapters to allow PVS-14 gen3 night vision technology to attach onto their big eyepieces, but it is currently not allowed here.

If you get word that I'm in jail, you'll know why. ?

• Like 1

I think you need at least an 8 piece turret, and a wheelbarrow fitted out with racks for the others...?

13 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

I think you need at least an 8 piece turret, and a wheelbarrow fitted out with racks for the others...?

A 2" eight piece turret with one opening at 3" might just do it. Oh, and a 20 kg counterweight! ?