• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Flickr takeover

Bino-viewer

I've had an email saying Flickr is in the process of being taken over by 'SmugMug'

Will that effect uploading of images from that platform onto this forum i wonder....?

Any thoughts.....???

I have been having trouble uploading to Flickr for a while .

I hope they don't make a mess of it like Photobucket did.

18 minutes ago, BAZ said:

That's why I have moved to dropbox now, for good or worse.

I've used dropbox for years, and it seems to do the job OK for me. ?

Edited by Tweedledee

The problem with technology now is that it moves faster than me. I like stuff you can physically see and abuse, if you can't hit it, you can't fix it.

• Haha 2

I moved to Flickr after Photobucket (Boto*****et) starting charging and reducing quota after a takeover. Same reason I keep changing hosts for other services.

There's the odd topic I can still contribute to in some meaningful form! ?

I use Flickr religiously and have done so for years, subscribing to their pro tier to access the increased storage, ad-free experience and the better features. It's been severely neglected for years under Yahoo and it looked to be getting only worse under Verizon. Neither of these companies were focused on photography and, in Yahoo's case, this was evident in their attempts to compete with instagram, a service that is, in the main, used for uploading poor quality shots taken on mobile devices. Where they did get it right was in selecting their algorithm for compressing and re-scaling photos during the upload process, it's not perfect but aside from 500px, it's about as good as it gets. That, and the 2TB storage limit for pro, are the reasons I remained a user.

SmugMug have been in the photography game a long time and they know the photography community well. If they handle it right, and don't try to treat it as a cash cow, then I see this benefitting photographers a lot in the coming months. Flickr needs stronger direction and a company like SmugMug, that knows the photography community, has to be a better bet than Yahoo, who were mostly clueless, and Verizon, who have a reputation for poor service, lack of innovation and price-gouging. SmugMug itself isn't a cheap option, and never has been, but they should have the brains to recognise Flickr's USPs, which are cost-effective bulk storage and the social element. What I'd like to see is a way of linking Flickr's service to SmugMug's service, allowing photographers the flexibility of bulk storage, as they get today, with the added ability to market their work in a professional way via SmugMug, for which they would pay a premium.

SmugMug and Flickr are certainly enthusiastic, has anybody else had a barrage of emails all saying the same thing? I'm on my fourth one. ?

12 minutes ago, Craig said:

SmugMug and Flickr are certainly enthusiastic, has anybody else had a barrage of emails all saying the same thing? I'm on my fourth one. ?

Yes I’ve had two 

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:06, Craig said:

There's the odd topic I can still contribute to in some meaningful form! ?

I use Flickr religiously and have done so for years, subscribing to their pro tier to access the increased storage, ad-free experience and the better features. It's been severely neglected for years under Yahoo and it looked to be getting only worse under Verizon. Neither of these companies were focused on photography and, in Yahoo's case, this was evident in their attempts to compete with instagram, a service that is, in the main, used for uploading poor quality shots taken on mobile devices. Where they did get it right was in selecting their algorithm for compressing and re-scaling photos during the upload process, it's not perfect but aside from 500px, it's about as good as it gets. That, and the 2TB storage limit for pro, are the reasons I remained a user.

SmugMug have been in the photography game a long time and they know the photography community well. If they handle it right, and don't try to treat it as a cash cow, then I see this benefitting photographers a lot in the coming months. Flickr needs stronger direction and a company like SmugMug, that knows the photography community, has to be a better bet than Yahoo, who were mostly clueless, and Verizon, who have a reputation for poor service, lack of innovation and price-gouging. SmugMug itself isn't a cheap option, and never has been, but they should have the brains to recognise Flickr's USPs, which are cost-effective bulk storage and the social element. What I'd like to see is a way of linking Flickr's service to SmugMug's service, allowing photographers the flexibility of bulk storage, as they get today, with the added ability to market their work in a professional way via SmugMug, for which they would pay a premium.

I moved to Flickr after Photobucket (Boto*****et) starting charging and reducing quota after a takeover. Same reason I keep changing hosts for other services.

I've made jokes on here before about posting unedited photos but, in all honesty, I choose not to post unedited photos online anywhere. I've now stopped posting my lower-quality photos on Facebook, Flickr and Twitter. I put them on my blog but, again, only after editing. I hate this Instragram-led "fashion" of posting selfies and (as you say) low-quality shots. Also, if my work gets busy, it can take me up to two weeks between taking a photo and posting it. Unless it was an event of national interest, like a "supermoon" or "eclipse" what is the point of rushing a photo out? Many of my images are created from stacking runs that can take hours.

OK, we don't all have 9999mm APOs, 9999 terapixel cameras and tracking mounts accurate to within 0.000000000000000000001 of a second BUT surely we should all make an effort to make our photos as good as we can. After all, there's plenty of free editing tools out there.

I just hope we don't have to start paying for Flickr.

Edited by Sunny Phil

• 1 month later...

SmugMug are sending more emails about Flickr, with a few key points:

• Free accounts are staying - no real clarity on any limits or changes, but at least it's a step in the right direction
  • They're fixing the abysmal login and notifications system (yahoo mail needed to die a long time ago)
  • They want to work on making it more of a community site, which I read as "social media", so we'll see how that pans out...

Their CEO held an 'ask me anything' session on Reddit, which you can read here: https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/8l0pet/im_don_macaskill_ceo_chief_geek_of_smugmug_we/