• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

SharpCap for Polar Alignment

gfletcher

Hi Guys

How good is the polar alignment feature on SharpCap?

Do you have to buy SharpCap Pro to be able to use it ?

I am thinking of attaching my Altair Astro camera to my ST80 guide scope to be able to use the feature. Will that combo be suitable for checking polar alignment with SharpCap ?

thanks

Grahan

Sharp cap is good , yes you need the pro version , I use my qhy5L-11 

On a   qhy  mini guide scope , have a look on the sharp cap forum under polar alignment st80 is mentioned I’m sure I think it is possible or check sgl it’s been mentioned on there before, phd2 has a polar align  too ,check I think it’s in a dev version I remember downloading it .your camera is suitable wether you need a focal reducer I’m not sure with a st 80 you need to work out FOV though that may be answered in sharpcap forum 

Here’s a thread regarding phd2 PA on CN https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/593207-new-phd2-static-polar-alignment-tool/

i havent tried the phd2 version but will re download  dev version as a few bugs were ironed out , the difference between this version and sharpcap  is as I see it you can slew scope using PhD 2 , it only makes a small slew as with sharp cap you have to manually move 90degrees