• Join the East Midlands Stargazers astronomy community today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
bryand

Exmoor suggestions

bryand

I'm trying to sort out a trip to the SW in May, taking in Exmoor.  Anybody got any suggestions for campsites in the area which are astronomer-friendly?

Bino-viewer

I've been thinking of somewhere further afield.

Namely south west Spain.

Take a look here......

http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Products/AGEYEBREAKS

I think it would be great if we could get a group of say 5 and share one of the properties for a long weekend.

I know EMS is not a society as such, but is an astro trip like this something that would appeal...?

Bino-viewer

Apologies for going off topic a bit.

With regard to the OPs question, there is a place advertised in Astronomy now magazine

that i've looked at before. Its on the Devon / Cornwall border. Not sure how close that is 

to Exmoor : its a part of the UK i'm not that familiar with.

Its looks nice, but i was a bit confused by the prices and add ons.

When you tot it up, it may be not that much cheaper than Spain....and i'm sure they don't get 250 clear nights a year ! 😀

Here's the link.

http://www.astroadventures.co.uk

bryand

Just returned from my foray to Exmoor, which was well worth the effort - I'll be going back in the late summer.

Exmoor:  Not for large vehicles!  Lots of car parks and lay-bys to set up your scopes, but worth driving the roads in daylight first so you know what to expect.
The national park has a Dark Skies guide.
I have a copy of Seb Jay's book "Exmoor Dark Skies" which is a good guide to stargazing on Exmoor - happy to lend it to interested members.

Campsite: I went to Halse Farm, above Winsford.  
Good facilities - clean toilets with showers; dishwashing area and launderette.  Good vista in all directions, but could be windy.
Free WiFi, and power hookups charged my car overnight at 9 Amps continuous so I started each day with a full battery.  
Nearest shop is in Winsford, a pretty village in a Miss Marple sort of way.  
Nearest supermarket is the Co-Op in Dulverton (about 8 miles away).

campsite2.thumb.JPG.8b288d9b09759a2216fb722ef2ef0cf4.JPG

Westermill farm is also on the internet.  
A larger site, deep in the Exe valley which would limit your view and contribute midges.  Access via very narrow lane.  
Slightly nearer the darkest parts of Exmoor but I doubt that the difference in darkness would be worth the disadvantages.

Sessions:  Not really dark until after 10 pm so I set up at the campsite.  Very clear, darker than Belper with Milky Way quite bright.
Too windy for astrophotos but used my compact camera to get an 8-second sky view.

s_MW19b.jpg.58f66037b3bbdadede0cce52c8f599e7.jpg

BAZ

Oh brilliant stuff Bryan, I am glad you had a good time and it looks a nice spot where you stayed.