• Join the East Midlands Stargazers astronomy community today!

Welcome to the East Midlands Stargazers community! You're just one step away from joining a great online astronomy community covering the East Midlands area. You can sign up below using your email address, Facebook account or Twitter account.

Once you've signed up you'll be able to customise your profile, introduce yourself to our members and start sharing this great hobby with other members of the astronomy community.

We hope you enjoy your stay.

Sign in to follow this  
bryand

Exmoor suggestions

bryand

I'm trying to sort out a trip to the SW in May, taking in Exmoor.  Anybody got any suggestions for campsites in the area which are astronomer-friendly?

Bino-viewer

I've been thinking of somewhere further afield.

Namely south west Spain.

Take a look here......

http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Products/AGEYEBREAKS

I think it would be great if we could get a group of say 5 and share one of the properties for a long weekend.

I know EMS is not a society as such, but is an astro trip like this something that would appeal...?

Bino-viewer

Apologies for going off topic a bit.

With regard to the OPs question, there is a place advertised in Astronomy now magazine

that i've looked at before. Its on the Devon / Cornwall border. Not sure how close that is 

to Exmoor : its a part of the UK i'm not that familiar with.

Its looks nice, but i was a bit confused by the prices and add ons.

When you tot it up, it may be not that much cheaper than Spain....and i'm sure they don't get 250 clear nights a year ! 😀

Here's the link.

http://www.astroadventures.co.uk

bryand

Just returned from my foray to Exmoor, which was well worth the effort - I'll be going back in the late summer.

Exmoor:  Not for large vehicles!  Lots of car parks and lay-bys to set up your scopes, but worth driving the roads in daylight first so you know what to expect.
The national park has a Dark Skies guide.
I have a copy of Seb Jay's book "Exmoor Dark Skies" which is a good guide to stargazing on Exmoor - happy to lend it to interested members.

Campsite: I went to Halse Farm, above Winsford.  
Good facilities - clean toilets with showers; dishwashing area and launderette.  Good vista in all directions, but could be windy.
Free WiFi, and power hookups charged my car overnight at 9 Amps continuous so I started each day with a full battery.  
Nearest shop is in Winsford, a pretty village in a Miss Marple sort of way.  
Nearest supermarket is the Co-Op in Dulverton (about 8 miles away).

campsite2.thumb.JPG.8b288d9b09759a2216fb722ef2ef0cf4.JPG

Westermill farm is also on the internet.  
A larger site, deep in the Exe valley which would limit your view and contribute midges.  Access via very narrow lane.  
Slightly nearer the darkest parts of Exmoor but I doubt that the difference in darkness would be worth the disadvantages.

Sessions:  Not really dark until after 10 pm so I set up at the campsite.  Very clear, darker than Belper with Milky Way quite bright.
Too windy for astrophotos but used my compact camera to get an 8-second sky view.

s_MW19b.jpg.58f66037b3bbdadede0cce52c8f599e7.jpg