• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

PixInsight How good is it? Should I do it?

Derbyshire Dave

Hi,

I have traditionally processed my images in Photoshop CS5, with some tweaks in Lightroom, and some gradient removal using Gradient Xterminator.

I have been reading in a lot of articles that people use PixInsight. Reasons given include the fact that it is a dedicated astro imaging application rather than a general processing app like PS, and that a lot of time is taken in the early stages to preserve data rather than stretching things initially and introducing artefacts.

I downloaded the 45 day trail version and ran through lots of videos, particularly "Harry's" and did get a reasonable feel for how things work. My gut feel is that it is very powerful, but I did find the learning process quite difficult, and some of the terminology just obscure.

So, I realise that it's a very difficult question to ask, but what are peoples views of PixInsight. I realise that this is hugely subjective, but I'd love to know whether it's a big step forward, or just a different way of doing things. I'm happy to spend time and money if the end results are much better.

Thanks

Never used PI ,another option  have you thought of  using  Startools which is free to try no limitation the only thing you can't do is save at the end  and to purchase it is only about 60 australian dollars which is about £32 nowt to lose, tutorial here  http://astro.ecuadors.net/processing-a-noisy-dslr-image-stack-with-startools/ 

I had a look at the PI 45-day trial, which coincided with 45 cloudy nights, so didn't get to explore it.

My feeling is that it's a very expensive piece of software which might be worth it IF you use all the bits.  However, in reality most people are only going to use about 15% of the package (and will forget about the rest even if they explore it initially) so I will be looking for more cost-effective ways of achieving similar ends.

If PI were available as a Pick-n-Mix bag of processes, it would suit more people.

Pixinsight is the first expensive piece of astro software I have ever purchased. 

It is an incredibly powerful program. 

Unfortunately I do not have a NASA  level degree in computer science so most of it goes straight over my head. 

With plenty of practice I might just get to grips with it but I need data to practice with and that has been in very short supply lately. 

There are loads of tutorials and a help forum . 

If you don't mind the steep learning curve then go for it. 

Ivo the creator of startools rates its stacking ability as very good and worth  it just for that alone .

Wow, that's some really negative stuff there, thanks for your info guys. I will have a look at Startools...

If there is anyone out there in the Stargazers who really rates Pixinsight highly, I'd still love to know..

2 hours ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

Wow, that's some really negative stuff there, thanks for your info guys. I will have a look at Startools...

If there is anyone out there in the Stargazers who really rates Pixinsight highly, I'd still love to know..

PI is supposed to be good , though out of my price range tbh , I came across startools and was impressed with its capabilities and it’s ease of use and price like any program they all take time to get your head round , I couldn’t be doing with all that stretching and using this and that tool with PS .

Those that have got their heads around it say it is the way to go.

Me - I could not get used to it and I tried in the very early days (when it was free) and again a couple of years or so.

Don't take my reply as a negative. 

Just because I am next to useless with a computer doesn't make pi bad.

The images produced by people who know their way around this software are out of this world. 

Pixel maths is an incredible tool.

So are the stacking and mosaic tools. 

If you are OK with computers it has to be a good way to go.

I tried it for the trial period but really found it difficult to work out.  I am sure it is good but I dont have the time to put into

it , so I did not purchase.

I use phooshop and maxim for stacking.  I use maxim for imaging so no extra cost there for me

Sheila,  Graham, Steve, David, Bryan

Thank you for all your comments, I much appreciate it.

The first thing I feel is a sense of relief, I have given this a real good shot, and only got so far. I thought it was just my inabiliity to understand and that it was only me, it's re-assuring to know that others have found it hard, or none-intuitive too.

It's also interesting to see that there is an admiration for the sofware, if you can get to grips with it.

I think for the moment, I'm gonna not go for it, and concentrate on getting a load more darks, flats and bias files, then maybe in 6 months time see if I can blag another free trial. In that way, I'll have a better chance of trying to evaluate and I'll give it a final shot.

Thanks again, good luck for clear skies on Saturday