• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Missing in Action

Brantuk

Hi folks - you may have noticed I've not been so active as usual recently and maybe a bit quiet - well I've not been too good.

Eight weeks ago to the day, I was just coming out of the operating theatre at the Glenfield Heart hospital where I underwent a life saving operation to remove a 5.1cm dia aneurysm from my ascending thoracic aorta (look that up and have fun lol).

They have actually replaced most of my aortic arch with a plastic tube junction box not too unlike the "U" bend under your sink - only the tubes that go off to the dish washer - in my case go up to my carotid artery to feed my head with blood.

This was the first (and worst) part of a two part operation - the second will happen when I've recovered from this one and that will be to stent two remaining aneurysms in my descending and abdominal aorta. The worst one is nearly 5.5cm in diameter (normally 2.5 - 3.0cm) - and it's growing fast towards 6cm diameter, beyond which a rupture and death is highly likely. After the second op, hopefully the disease that's causing the weakness in my arteries will disappear for good.

Anyway - that's where I've been - having the op and then in and out of hospital like a yoyo for two months with post op problems. It all seems to have settled down now, and I'm recovering slowly but surely, and I've been out of hospital for 3wks (longest so far).

Thank goodness cos I was getting really sick of hospital food lol. Cya all in the not too distant future all being well - cheers ?

Thats not good Kim.

At least you are on the road to recovery.

Hopefully in the not too distant future you will be back to full health or as near to it us old farts can get.

Keep your chin up Kim it will all be good in the end.

Hope you get the second op sorted soon and are back to full fitness asap. 

All the very best Kim. ?

Sorry to hear that Kim, hope the second op sorts it out for good! Remember we're all rooting for you mate!

get well soon and surely see you at Kelling later in the year!

Take care

Ron (& Lynne)

Thanks for all the good wishes chaps.

Yeah it's weird to think a major part of my plumbing will be plastic. But I'm just grateful to still be alive, and I'm utterly amazed at what they can do these days.

Camping at Kelling may be a tad optimistic this year - but certainly a visit could be on the cards if I recover quick enough. ?

Keep taking the pills Kim and get out walking, build your strength, speak soon.

Will do Mick - really nice to see you yesterday mate, lifted my spirits immeasurably, so thanks for popping over. ?

I didn't know it had got that bad that quick Kim, I am pleased to hear you are being looked after, the NHS is a wonderful thing. Take care of your self buddy, I'll pop in and see you as soon as I can. Love to Di.

Take care mate, hope your feeling better soon.

Thanks Martyn - yeah the NHS is gold dust mate, something we should all treasure - you never know when you're really gonna need it. I'll look forward to seeing you again soon - it's been too long ?

2 minutes ago, andyboy1970 said:

Take care mate, hope your feeling better soon.

Thanks Andy ?

I'm actually not too bad right now mate - just a spot weak but moving around normally so long as I don't exert myself too much or lift anything too heavy - an ST80 is about my limit lol. Like Mick says - I need to build up with incremental exercise for a few months. ?

Edited by Brantuk

Sorry to hear of your issues Kim, but glad you seem to be on the mend. Take it steady and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Thanks Daz - yes I'm stable now (touch wood) and should start to improve over the weeks to come. To  be honest I didn't expect to survive the op - they had to freeze me down to 20 degs and stop my heart/lungs for 40 mins - right now I feel like a walking miracle lol

Get well soon Kim. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

Get well soon Kim. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Thanks Craig ?

Blimey Kim, I knew you were badly but flippin eck! Hope you recover quickly and your back on your feet soon. Best wishes from me and Fliss

Thanks Phil - I can actually walk round and do stuff like before - I can even go up/down the stairs several times per day - so it ain't like I'm bed bound or anything like that. As long as I don't overdo it I should be fine - hope to be driving again sometime in the next couple of weeks. Fingers crossed the only hospital visits I'll need will be for monitoring from now on. ?

9 hours ago, Brantuk said:

Thanks Phil - I can actually walk round and do stuff like before - I can even go up/down the stairs several times per day - so it ain't like I'm bed bound or anything like that. As long as I don't overdo it I should be fine - hope to be driving again sometime in the next couple of weeks. Fingers crossed the only hospital visits I'll need will be for monitoring from now on. ?

Glad to hear you are mobile. I know from experience about paced recovery. Sounds like you are doing it right mate just dont go skydiving or marathon running just yet  ?

45 minutes ago, philjay said:

just dont go skydiving or marathon running just yet

I cancelled the bunjee jump already lol ?

1 hour ago, Bottletopburly said:

Wow Kim I wish you a speedy recovery

Thanks David ?

I thought you had gone a bit quiet of late. I did see a few posts from you so thought you were away somewhere...

It’s good to see your good humour coming through, strong as ever. Keep us up to date Kim, we want to know how you are doing. ?

Sorry to hear you've been in the wars Kim.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thanks Martin/Rob - last couple of days have been good ones - I even pushed the boat out and had a meal out with friends on Sat night  - but I'm paying for it now lol. So a couple days rest are in order ?