• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Finder mount

Tweedledee

I bought one of these semispherical lightweight finder mounts and can thoroughly recommend it.

https://www.365astronomy.com/365Astronomy-Flexible-3D-Semi-Spherical-Lightweight-Guiding-Mount-Finder-Base.html

Usually a finder or small guidescope is adjusted using up to 6 adjusting screws in 2 rings and can sometimes be a bit fiddly. If you don't have a driven mount, by the time you have got a star on the cross hair, it has drifted away in the main scope. With this gadget, it is just a 5 second job to align the finder. The semispherical mount is super slick and very smooth in operation. You simply twist/pull the body of the finder until the star is on the crosshair and lock it in position with about a quarter turn of the clamping screw. Job done!

You may think it is unnecessary and a waste of money when you can just fiddle a bit longer. Call me lazy, but I've got to the stage where I want all my astro stuff to be ergonomic and as quick and easy to set up as possible allowing more time looking.

I've just ordered another. ?

finderbracket.jpg?raw=1

When I've saved up and got my CCD sorted I think I'll get one of these!

Thanks for posting it Pete...

Cheers

Ron

Ron if you wait until I get home I have a mounting bracket which adjusts in all directions using adjusting wheels. 

I will dig it out and post up some photos. 

I have seen Pete’s adapter and I am going to get one for the Dob! Pete is right, twiddling about with 6 counterintuitive knobs does my head in. ?

Edited by Smithysteve

Well I have retrieved this from the bottom of a box and here it is.

It is a Sky watcher adjustable guide scope mount.

Full details are here.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/guide-cameras/skywatcher-guidescope-mount.html

It is a rare piece of kit.

Fairly pricey but it is extremely well made and built like a tank.

Complete with the optional adaptor plate

DSC_0087.JPG?raw=1

DSC_0088.JPG?raw=1

DSC_0089.JPG?raw=1

Sounds like something that's very useful.  I'd rather do without the fiddling when trying to webcam with a 3x Barlow.