• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Heads up large binos on ebay

Graham

Currently watching them, thanks Graham, they have shot up to £12.50 - lol.

Are these a good brand/make, suppose at that price it does not matter but expecting them to shoot up nearer the end date?

No idea how good they are but at that price who cares ?

They are generic bins, Ok for casual stuff. Not the best of quality but good for sweeping along the milky way. They arent much good for hand held stuff though due to their size and mag but fine on a tripod.

I had some Celestron 25x100s which are similar and they gave a very nice rich field view. They also need a reasonably solid tripod. You might get away with lighter weight tripod but they would make it a bit top heavy and rickety. I can hold 15x70s ok preferably leaning against a wall or something, but 25x100s are just too heavy and too much magnification to be hand held.

My 25x100s had to go because they were so big and heavy. It was less trouble to take out my ST120 which was more stable and gave a better view because I could use my 2" eyepieces with it.

I've actually contemplated (now my refractor is approaching 10 years old)

of sourcing another used one with the idea of 'making' it into a binoscope.

What do you think ?

Its a William optics FLT132.

I think 2 together would make an interesting project.

Its not something i'm definitely going to do, but after 15+ years in the hobby

i think i've reached that certain level of madness to entertain the idea.

It would push the 20kg mark so its not something to take lightly. 

It would be do-able on my Panther mount though.....

58 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

I've actually contemplated (now my refractor is approaching 10 years old)

of sourcing another used one with the idea of 'making' it into a binoscope.

What do you think ?

Its a William optics FLT132.

I think 2 together would make an interesting project.

Its not something i'm definitely going to do, but after 15+ years in the hobby

i think i've reached that certain level of madness to entertain the idea.

It would push the 20kg mark so its not something to take lightly. 

It would be do-able on my Panther mount though.....

Sounds like a great plan Rob and it would be a fantastic scope. ?

I think that aligning the OTA's up perfectly, may take a lot of trial and error, but would be well worth it in the end. There is a Japanese company that sell the ideal diagonal mirror fittings you need to adjust the inter-ocular distance. They are specially made for bringing two large refractors together as a binoscope. They are a ridiculous price, but I will see if I can find a link for you, if you don't already know of them.

This would be a great project which I would be very interested to follow. 

I'm not familiar with the Japenese company Pete. Thanks, i'd be interested in that.

I believe there is also a chap in Liverpool AS (Todmorden) who knows alot about binoscopes.

His name is Peter Drew.

Also Tec Telescopes based in Colorado , US custom make binoscopes using 2 Tec 140s.

This actually has the same focuser as my own scope.

23 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

I'm not familiar with the Japenese company Pete. Thanks, i'd be interested in that.

I believe there is also a chap in Liverpool AS (Todmorden) who knows alot about binoscopes.

His name is Peter Drew.

I thought Peter Drew made newtonian binoscopes, but maybe he does them with refractors as well. ?

Here's the Japanese website, they are the same fittings as in your photo...

http://ems-bino.com/

They seem to be yer actual East Midlands Stargazer ones (EMS?

• Thanks 1

Peter Drew has been making refractor binos for some time now. He is well known for his 6" synta ones, he recently did an ed80 set, a search on SGL will pick it up. I was tempted awhile back to do similar.

I used to have a pair of 25x100s for a short time and moved them on for the same reasons, just too big and heavy for me. A pantograph mount does them justice but then its more kit to carry and set up.

Thats the problem with auctions, "come and buy me" starting prices tempt people to in and one has to be careful then to avoid bidding fever, I know cos Ive been there ?

Edited by philjay

Pete used 4 generic mirror diagonals to do the eye end if I remember rightly, quite a novel approach, fiddly but effective.

At least one ota needs to be adjustable on the chassis/mounting plate to collimate it the other one but thats relatively straight forward.

Those Tecs look impressive, I wouldnt like to heft them about about much. Thats the advantage of using synta/sw scopes the evo and st ranges they are much lighter for a project like that. Cnc machined cells, focusers and heavy duty tubes are great but when you double them up in bins it gets a bit heavy

Edited by philjay

Yes 20kg is alot of mass, but reasonably manageable ; certainly on the right mount.

I have that at my disposal if i go down this particular route.

Not sure though whether the views will be that much better than with a regular binoviewer and single ota ?

If its all about image brightness and aperture, using my 12" Newt with bino takes care of that one.

Edited by Bino-viewer

Someone got a bargain with those 25x100s for just £75. ?

Was it anyone on EMS?