• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Milky Way over The Peak District - 17th May 2018

Chris P.

Hi everyone - this one was a labour of love I can tell you!. Up until god knows what hour of the morning deep in the Peak District freezing my bits off - but I think it was worth it. This is the milky way running through the constellation Cygnus. The skys in the Peak District are not as dark as i thought - too much light pollution from Sheffield, Chesterfield and Manchester to get the milky way close to the horizon so this was pretty much overhead pointing towards Chesterfield from Surprise View, Hathersage.  I took these images with a a 16mm lens on my modded DSLR and Skywatcher Star Adventurer mount. Exposures were 12 @ 90 seconds each with darks and flats to stack in DSS. Cheers

Milky Way 3 EMSG.jpg

Yeah, good work Chris. Amazing you could get this with the light pollution. Did you use a light pollution filter?

11 hours ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

Yeah, good work Chris. Amazing you could get this with the light pollution. Did you use a light pollution filter?

Oh boy, i did try but struggled to get accurate focus with my filter in the camera