• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Venus Transit

Guest Marine Bio

Guest Marine Bio

Hi guys,

This is my first post in this particular forum so hello! I'm originally from Lincolnshire (Alford) but now live and work in North Wales and am a member of Gwynedd Astronomy Society. Myself and my girlfriend were planning on travelling back to Lincs in June to (hopefully) catch the transit of Venus. Our original plan was to set up the scope somewhere along the seafront to provide a clear view to the East. However, it might be really nice to try and catch it in the company of other like minded people and I wondered if ELAC had any plans?

Many thanks,

MB

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RonC

• cosmic dave

• tbird

• oldfruit

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to EMS MB.

ELAC also observe at Gibralter Point where Paul is holding his event so I doubt if they will be having a seperate event, plus it's during the week and people have to work etc, Cosmic Dave will be along soon and I'm sure he will know.

Hi MB, I've been thinking about this and wondering if elac should do something ? I was thinking Huttoft,Sutton,mabo would give good views with the sun rising over the sea. I will keep u posted. I did not know about the gib point event.

Huttoft would be perfect, clear horizon and you can park on the sea front and set up next to your vehicle as i doubt many people would be there so early in the morning. I would be up for it Dave. Even Gib Point would be good. I will do whatever you guys want to do. :)

Where are my manners? Hi and welcome MB.

Edited by oldfruit

Where's Huttoft please? What time is the Sun rising on the June 6th?

Guest Fluke

Sun rises 4:41, interior egress starts at 5:37 with exterior egress finishing at 5:54.

Im seriously thinking of coming over to the coast to watch this once in a life time event.

No doubt the weather will be rubbish!

Where's Huttoft please? What time is the Sun rising on the June 6th?

Ron Huttoft is near me (about 2 miles south) the beach is north east facing and very quiet. Ideal really if you want a clear low horizon.

Sun rises 4:41, interior egress starts at 5:37 with exterior egress finishing at 5:54.

Im seriously thinking of coming over to the coast to watch this once in a life time event.

No doubt the weather will be rubbish!

I will bring a flask of tea and coffee. Could be a good little meeting ?

So? Are we meeting as ELAC, maybe some EMS members want to visit the East Coast for that day OR joining Paul Money's group at Gib Point?

Guest Fluke
So? Are we meeting as ELAC, maybe some EMS members want to visit the East Coast for that day OR joining Paul Money's group at Gib Point?

Im happy to meet up with a few of you guys. If the weathers looking promising I wouldnt mind coming up the night before, do a bit of observing that evening then up early doors.

Just a reminder from my first reply, Paul Money's events are very popular and need pre-booking http://lincstrust.or....php?month=June .

I think it would be good to attend and promote ELAC and EMS at this event.

That is a very good point Paul, had not thought about that.

I think we should try and find out how many EMS members would want to come? If there's not to many, then join Paul's group. If quite a few want to come (and it's a once in a lifetime event!) then I think ELAC should look after them, maybe at Huttoft, but not in competition!?

Ron

I think the word competition is not quite relevant in this case. We would be there to observe an event for the pleasure of it plain and simple. But i like the idea of the chance to promote ELAC at what will probably be a well publicised event, and this would help us spread the word in one place at one time. Too good a chance to miss really.

Umm, I'll sit on the fence for this one then! It's only a couple of weeks till we meet again and we can 'discuss' it and make a decision, OK?

I don`t think anyone has made a decision about this yet, but i do think Paul has made a valid point and certainly given us something to think about. I also think you have made a good point about EMS Ron and would be more than happy to make sure that any EMS members wishing to join us on the East coast were made to feel welcome at whichever venue we decide upon. Like i said before, i am happy to join the group where ever we decide to go.

It`s all Dave`s fault. He sugested an alternate venue. :lol:

Well if you're on the fence and I'm on the fence, Dave and Paul better decide,! :) :) :)

Edited by Ron Clarke

If i can be honest, and correct me if i am wrong :) , Paul has been to other Paul Money events so i think he is in a good position to know what to expect from this sort of event and also how we (ELAC) could benefit from it.

We must remember that ELAC is still in it`s very early stages and i beleive anything we can do to promote ELAC will be of great benefit to us as a group, and also others out there that may not even be aware we exist, and want to join such a club.

I am very happy with where ELAC is at currently, nice friendly members, good dark site etc, and i can only see things getting better as time goes on.

I just think at times like this, we need to be sure as a group of what we want to do and also be sure that a great opportunity does not pass us by.

I agree 100%, if Paul's knows what to expect and is happy to go then I think we should go and promote ELAC as much as we can. When would we need to book?