• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Venus Transit

Guest Marine Bio

Guest Marine Bio

Thanks for the replies guys. So is the official word that ELAC are meeting at Gib point then? If so it would be nice to try and get along and meet some of you.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RonC

• cosmic dave

• tbird

• oldfruit

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, I will take the blame. There is a nice little observation tower by the beach at gib point (you get to it from the beach car park) that would give a good view of the n eastrn horizon ???? I have seen several paul money talks and he is very good. I'm happy to follow the crowd.

Edited by cosmic dave

Has anyone booked for the event ?

I've just rung Gib point and the cost to book for the lecture is £40, but that includes evening meal and breakfast, but there's nothing to stop us turning up to do some observing without the extras.

Also there is only 2 or 3 places left anyway.

I knew the events were popular but didn't realise the cost as it wasn't on the LWT website.

I have not booked, nor did i realise that it wes £40 as this information was not on the website. It just said fee to be confirmed or something like that.

I think that the idea to turn up and do some observing is a good one, besides we do use the venue as our observing site and as i have said before, i doubt that they will turn us away.

I`m sure i can rustle up some breakfast for myself beforehand. :D

Too many threads about this?? On here and a PM thread as well, (Getting confused!! :wacko: )

Thanks Mark! I'll go back to sleep now..zzzzzzzzzzz

I thought it would be best to make a decision by PM to avoid confusion on the open forum

Come one Dave, stay with us!! I'm the oldie here remember!! haha :lol:

Have we settled on Huttoft then ? Anywhere north of chapel point will do.

I was toying with travelling over for the transit and it would be great to meet up, Gib point is 88 miles from home so I was thinking of either an early start from home or tent and overnight stay.

I was toying with travelling over for the transit and it would be great to meet up, Gib point is 88 miles from home so I was thinking of either an early start from home or tent and overnight stay.

I think we are going to Huttoft to view the transit. Better horizon ! Your more than welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Visited Huttoft today, good viewing site! Room for 30+ cars almost on the beach! had a word the a guy who ran a mobile cafe there, said he would turn up 4.30-5am on the 6th June to provide tea and bacon butties etc...

Guest Marine Bio

That's great news about the mobile cafe. I've now booked the day off work so will definetely be there. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys. :)

i`ve too got the day off work, it had better be clear as it`s cost me bank holiday rate L.O.L.

the wife also has her relatives coming over for the Queens jubilee what not so i`m planning on coming over late at night and having a few hours kip in the car before setting up.

anyone got firm details on what time and place to meet up please.

Huttoft beach, and I guess 4-4.30 set up ready for Sunrise! Will sort out details of location with Dave (Cosmic Dave) and post them on ELAC thread?

Guest Fluke

Is there no one stopping overnight?

I'm still keen but don't want to be on my lonesome :(

If no one else is making a night of it I'll probably get up at stupid o'clock, say 2am and drive over (with a car full of redbull)!

This is the view East ! Can't get much better than that! (adding Blue sky would help!)

Edited by Ron Clarke

i`m interested in an over night stop Dan, but can`t be bothered with setting the tent up for one night, if there`s a good price b & b very near i might be interested, tricky for me as the wifes invited her auntie and uncle up for the Queens do, so at the moment my 1st choice is to have a drive over around midnight, 1 am

Is there no one stopping overnight?

I'm still keen but don't want to be on my lonesome :(

If no one else is making a night of it I'll probably get up at stupid o'clock, say 2am and drive over (with a car full of redbull)!

I was thinking of stopping overnight if it looked like being clear

Guest Fluke

Ive sent Manor Farm Caravan park at Anderby a mail to see if they've got room for me to pitch a tent for the night.

Looks like its close to the beach (couple of mins drive) you're suggested we setup at.