• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Venus Transit

Guest Marine Bio

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RonC

• cosmic dave

• tbird

• oldfruit

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest philh

Hi Dan!! I'll also make my decision tomorrow, but according to the weather forcasts, it will be a write-off. If not a wash-out then certainly grey-could out. I'll take a decision Tuesday morning and post it on here.

There's always the Transit of Mercury in 2116.

Just had a look at the forecast and its really not cool! heavy rain. What is everyone doing ?

Depends on which forecast you use and if you believe it or not Dave?

If it looks as if there is any chance, I'm going to drive over late tonight, park up and sleep in the car. If it's clear I'm ready and if not then a drive home and to work!

Won't disturb the wife and won't unpack the gear if I don't have too!!

I'll see some of you there then?

Guest Fluke

Very disappointed, but that's our weather for you!

If I were as close to the coast as you Dave I'd be having a just in case look at 4:40ish, as you never know!

For me it sounds a waste of effort to travel all that way to get wet through and not see anything.

Im going down the Hawaii live webcam route. At least I'll be able to say I saw it in some respect.

As a warm up, there's a Horizon special on BBC2/HD at 9pm which should be good.

Guest Marine Bio

Myself and my girlfriend will be coming over about 3.30am. If its dry we'll unpack the scope, if not then we'll tuck into the flask of warm tea and breakfast and keep our fingers crossed for a break. See some of you there!

Guest philh

Hi all!

I'll not be going to Manor Farm or Huttoft I'm afraid. The weather forcast on MSN and on BBC web sites says it'll either be really cloudy or hammering it down. Either way, we're not going to see the sun rise tomorrow morning from anywhere around here. I'll just watch it on TV or webcast.

Perhaps should have jumped an a Quantas flight to Sydney!

If there's any other EMS events, I'd still like to come along and meet some of you guys - I'll keep an eye on the forum.

Such a pity about this damn weather forecast for tomorrow morning.

I was thinking we might just see something if we got the right kit together - wellies, umbrella and...

/>http://www.explorescientific.com/eyepieces/100_degree_series.html

Waterproof eyepieces :P

I'm still planning to go to Huttoft later tonight and sleep in the car.

By the way, I've sold the orange van so don't be looking for me in that.

Well it's hammering down with rain, 3 forecasts say rain 3-6am tomorrow so I'm ducking out and watching it online (&TV), sorry to be a wus but it's a long drive! Sorry lads see you all on the 16th at Gib point..

Well that's me out as well, not because of the weather, but I've locked the keys in the car and the spare doesn't fit, not happy.

What are you like Paul?? I wish I had thought of that one!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The car is fairly new to me, I left the keys in because I was going back out to it, and the car locked itself. :angry:

I wasn't worried because I had a spare key - but it I found it doesn't fit :angry: :angry:

I managed to wedge the door slightly and got a wire to the interior handle but pulling it still didn't unlocked it, now rained off further attempts :angry: :angry: :angry:

The other problem is all my astro kit is in the car :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

im still going. will be there between half 3 and four am, just not going to risk missing it, looks wet til 7am tho so im sure I will

its probably gona be four o clock before it get there, I sometimes wonder why we bother with astronomy in this country, very frustrated !!!!!!!

see you if you get here mark

Edited by cosmic dave

If you're still going Dave, I'll try and meet you there in the morning in the Mrs's car, but I'll not have any kit

I`ll be there just in case, never missed a meet yet come rain or shine :D . i will have a big flask of hot coffee.

If you're still going Dave, I'll try and meet you there in the morning in the Mrs's car, but I'll not have any kit

I will be there, im off to be in a moment and up at half 3. I dont have any solar filters so was hoping someone else did, anyway im expecting to get there at about 4am see you both there and with a little luck we will catch a bit of broken cloud, by the way its stopped raining here.

Right, I'm back in the game !

I had enough off-cut solar film to make a solar filter for the ST-80 which wasn't locked in my car and the CG-5 mount was also in the garage :)

So it's off to bed, chances of getting any sleep nil, too hyped up now.

What a waste of time eh, good to meet up again tho, any positive!

Did anyone see it ?