• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Advise on new binoculars

djpaul

Hi All

Im having to sell my Vixen SG 2.1 binoculars due to now wearing glasses.

Without glasses i cant quite get the Sg's in focus with my eye sight.

Only used a few times so like new ... I will miss them a lot.

So im now looking to buy some light weight 8x42 binoculars to replace them.

I was thinking of getting Hawke 8x42 ED ( I know they wont give me the wide views but just want something to carry around in the car )

But if anyone has suggestions please let me know.

My other Binoculars are Celestron 15x70 and im fine using those without wearing glasses.

Regards Paul

Can highly recommend the Hawkes, I bought a pair for Lynne and the wide field was ideal for her to enjoy the birds..

Ron

Cheers 

I notice they are £219 at Tring Astronomy.

Many Thanks 

They have stock in my local fishing tackle / shooting shop 

I will see if they can price match.

Paul

If that 120ED is too heavy for your EQ5, I have an HEQ5 for sale not too far away from you??

Ron

I have used a few pairs of Hawkes and they are very good indeed. I've got a pair of 10x42 at the moment and they reside in my glove box and are great.

Many Thanks Doc

Thats made my mind up

Infact i was wrong Tring are doing them for £209 ( Bonus )

So im looking to sell on my Wide View Vixens if anyones interested

I will miss them but its no good wearing glasses with them and i just cant quite get them in focus

Paul

I have the Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 and have never been so satisfied with a pair of binoculars as I am with these. They are very good quality and so easy to snap into focus and feel so natural to look through. Their field of view is wider than most and crisp to the edge. They are now £238 from RVO. They are just ideal for daytime nature watching and stargazing. I can see more in my heavy 15x70s at night, but the 8x43s feel much nicer to use and are very lightweight.

1 hour ago, Sunny Phil said:

I'd suggest a pair of 10x50s. These are still lightweight and the light grasp is a bit better than 8x43s.

I would normally agree Phil.

However my eyes were opened when I checked out better quality binoculars. I have used various cheap binoculars including my 10x50s which I've enjoyed for many years. In theory 50mm objectives gather 1.35x the light of 43mm, but in practice my quality 8x43s show just as much if not more than my cheap (£20 secondhand) 10x50s. The 8x43s are slightly lighter weight, and give a sharper and nicer view and they seem to be much easier on the eye and provide much greater clarity, meaning you will be apt to enjoy looking through them for longer and see even more. The difference is very noticeable both in daylight and at night. I'm sure I would see even more with quality 10x50s but they are more expensive still. Last year I got RVO to price match the Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 so they reduced them from £338 to £238! At EMS4, I had my first view through Micks (nearly £2000) Swarovskis, which impressed even more. The Hawkes aren't 10x as good as my cheap 10x50s, and the Swarovskis aren't 10x as good as the Hawkes, but if I had lots of money, I'd definitely have the Swarovskis. It's horses for courses, my secondhand 10x50s have certainly been the best value for money at just £20. ?

I couldn't agree more Pete, it's horses for courses when it comes to bins.

For the money the Hawkes are brilliant, they are very clear and let in a lot of light for the size. Where they do suffer and so do all bins except for the top tier models is at dusk or low light. I have compared my Swarovski 10x50 to my Hawke 10x43 observing a hedge about 100 yards away at dusk just as it was getting dark. In the hedge was a Turtle dove and with the Swarovskis I could still see details that the Hawke wasn't showing. The image was still bright enough to pick out the colours of the Turtle dove. Binoculars cheaper then the Hawke would not stand a chance.

IMO if you use your bins all the time as I do, then a pair of Swarovskis are worth every penny, if not then get the Hawkes.

Well i managed to pick up my new Hawke 8x43 Froniter ed binoculars today 

My local fishing / Shooting shop had a pair for sale at £399 i told them to check out the deal at RVO and they matched it £238

I have tried them out during this afternoon and they are amazing clear sharp and such good quality

Cheers to all for your input

Regards Paul 

BTW 

i sold my Vixens for £150 

I will miss them but no good as i cant focus them after my eye problem i had last year

Nice one Paul, you won't be dissapointed. ?

You didn't fancy paying a bit more for the top of the range Sunagor Megazooms then. ?

Sorry guys . I think I may had jinxed the bad weather over the weekend buying my new binoculars. ?

9 hours ago, djpaul said:

Sorry guys . I think I may had jinxed the bad weather over the weekend buying my new binoculars. ?

You can still enjoy a bit of birdwatching, and they are waterproof. ?

Loving the new bins.

However I do have to wear my glasses when using them due to an astigmatism. 

Thankfully with the eye cups left in I can get the perfect sweet spot due to the good eye relief. 

Without glasses stars are never totally sharp.

I've not had the chance to look yet due to weather conditions. But I'm sure I read somewhere that when using my scope it depends on the exit pupil as to weather or not my astigmatism will effect my observing .

Does anyone know anything about this

I'm really looking forward to a clear night to try observing with and without glasses on my scope. 

I have a feeling with low magnification I will need specs.

But I'm hoping to use my televue 3-6mm without them due to its close eye relief. 

Otherwise it will have to be replaced with a 6mm delos.

Astigmatism of the eye is a greater problem at larger exit pupils. Your bins have a 5.3mm exit pupil and you need your glasses. So you'll definitely need them with a 5mm exit pupil in your scope. The worse your astigmatism, the more it will affect smaller exit pupils. It would have to be pretty bad to affect the view in your short focal length eyepieces. You will just have to experiment and you'll soon get to know at what size exit pupil and below you don't require your glasses. This graph might help...

Astigmatism.gif?raw=1

My glasses Prescription shows a Cylinder of -1.25 in my right eye which i use on my scope

I may have to ask for more info than this from my optician. im not sure

I might even buy the diopter from televue

Paul

Hi

So looking at that chart above at my prescription of 1.25 cylinder i should be okay up to 1.8mm exit pupil?

I have just checked on Astronomy Tools web site

According to the telescope i use i should be okay with my Delos 10mm with an exit pupil of 1.33mm and everything below that but pushing it a little with my Delos 17.3mm exit pupil of 2.31mm and SW Panaview 32mm exit pupil of 4.27mm

Have i calculated that correct?

Paul