• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dob friction control

Tweedledee

My 14" dob has a big lazy susan bearing which has allowed a very free azimuth movement, so that a nudge with the eye at the eyepiece could too easily lose the target.

Graham has made me a superb adjustable friction mechanism utilising one of the original PTFE pads. The bracket will bolt to the underside of the ground board so the pad can be screwed up against the rotating base board. The mechanism is designed so that the PTFE pad has no lateral play (Backlash) and cannot rotate. Hopefully this will be an advantageous mod...

20180525_090058-1200x1600.jpg?raw=1

Drag files here to attach, or choose files... 
Max total size 0.5MB

20180525_090119-1600x1200.jpg?raw=1

20180525_090426-1600x1200.jpg?raw=1

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Ron Clarke said:

Looks a good idea, how you going to fit it?

Ron

Ron, this is my original sketch showing how it bolts to a corner of the triangular ground board. Graham did some nice modifications to make it more stable and prevent any unwanted movement of the PTFE pad...

20180513_193656s.jpg?raw=1

Edited by Tweedledee

It's a nice, simple mechanism that should allow me to dial in a little extra friction as required. 

Did a bit of messing about with the dob today and thoroughly enjoyed it. ?

Got the friction control fitted and it is just the job. Had to do a bit of soldering on my mirror fan cables.

20180601_111050s.jpg?raw=1

20180601_123501i.jpg?raw=1

Drag files here to attach, or choose files... 
Max total size 0.5MB

20180601_130435s.jpg?raw=1

20180601_163223s.jpg?raw=1

• Like 4

Simple ideas are normally the best Pete. Well executed job. I love just tinkering, makes the day really enjoyable.

Love the thrust bearings on the levellers, (Just the one! ?)  that's a nice touch!

28 minutes ago, BAZ said:

Love the thrust bearings on the levellers, (Just the one! ?)  that's a nice touch!

Cheers Mick and Martyn. 

There's another smaller thrust bearing hidden inside - it's a proper job Martyn! ?

It just let's you adjust the leveller super slick and precisely so nothing else rotates or scrapes. 

You just cannot beat a bit of tinkering.

Love the photo of the rear end.

Not a lot of room left with all those fans.

Are the three circular bits counter balance weights ???

30 minutes ago, Graham said:

You just cannot beat a bit of tinkering.

Love the photo of the rear end.

Not a lot of room left with all those fans.

Are the three circular bits counter balance weights ???

Cheers Graham, very pleased with the friction control you made. It's like a single pot disc brake. ??

The circular bits are counter balance weights. Both the original ones and some extra ones I had machined and powder coated. Just in case I ever get any heavier than average eyepieces to balance. ?

Edited by Tweedledee

A nice little mod there. 

Never bothered with lazy Susan mods personally, as you've pointed out im not sure benefits significantly outweigh the downsides.