• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

AZ3 mount questions

Brady

Afternoon... i have removed my ST80 as a guide scope and intend to use it as a traveller but unsure on the mount to use for it, there are some cracking robust travel tripods now that people are using but they come with the ball head which although im sure are excellent i think i would miss the slow motion cables, my only "cheap" solution is the AZ3 and was hoping someone has/had one and can shed some light on them at all? are they stable and easy to use etc etc?, my setup would be the said scope with a Hyperion Zoom lens and thats the lot so weight wise it should nail it.....the other options is the new Pronto, anyone tried this as yet?

Always appreciated

Wayne.

Edited by Brady

The AZ3 would be cheaper and more stable because it has a slightly heavier tripod and is rated at 5 kg. The Pronto would make a better travel mount, if a bit more expensive but might be slightly less stable with a capacity of only 3kg. The ST80 won't weigh more than a couple of kg with a reasonable eyepiece, so if it were me I'd go for the convenience of the Pronto. I think either of those would be more stable than a lightweight travel tripod and as you say you'd have slow motions. I used an AZ3 years ago and didn't like the fact that the balance point wasn't along the scope axis, but I was pushing the weight limits, you won't be. I like the AZ5 because the balance point is on the scope axis but that is more expensive...

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/skywatcher-az5-mount-tripod-20311.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9LPYBRDSARIsAHL7J5krhgjJaCLqoQDGkTociF7kZNA7sX7jBx23F56dHYJX2NahSUpnwmcaAomTEALw_wcB#tab-1

Hi Pete, I have a Vixen Porta Mini Mount that I used on a HEQ5 tripod, I was selling it for 65 pounds if it is of any use??

Cheers

Ron

8 minutes ago, Ron Clarke said:

Hi Pete, I have a Vixen Porta Mini Mount that I used on a HEQ5 tripod, I was selling it for 65 pounds if it is of any use??

Cheers

Ron

The Vixen is great Ron and I think it has a 7kg capacity so will hold bigger scopes nicely. £65 is a great price, they are normally dearer than the ones mentioned above. I would have considered buying that if I didn't have a Losmandy AZ8, but Wayne might be interested. ?

OK Pete, can you let Wayne know about it please??

Cheers

Ron

32 minutes ago, Ron Clarke said:

OK Pete, can you let Wayne know about it please??

Cheers

Ron

Wayne is the original poster, so I'm sure he will be back online soon Ron. I see yours is the Vixen Mini Porta mount, which would be an ideal lightweight mount for an ST80. ?

Here's a copy of the link to the mount you posted in For Sale...

https://www.vixenoptics.co.uk/Pages/mini_porta_mount.htm

Edited by Tweedledee

Sorry guys, intermittent broadband today with the roadworks outside, hit and miss for a while, thanks for the info on the mount, price range for the AZ3 seems about right too, Ron as much as i would like a shot at the Vixen i have no means to collect it, it does seem the better mount out of the 3, out of interest does it come with the original tripod or not? i may know someone who might be interested but will not see them now for a week...

Thanks

Hi Wayne, I use the tripod for my SW Adventurer mount but perhaps could persuaded to sell it with the Vixen mount??

Cheers

Ron

I shall pass it on Ron when he next visits, last time we spoke he was after a similar mount.