• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sol 29-5-2018 Ha

Ibbo

Very interesting features. ?

Odd that the flares at 3 o'clock are more detailed and stand out more on the first pic.

1 hour ago, Tweedledee said:

Very interesting features. ?

Odd that the flares at 3 o'clock are more detailed and stand out more on the first pic.

the coloured one was taken about 20 mins later than the first, if you look closely you will see subtle changes in the AR as well.

1 hour ago, Ibbo said:

the coloured one was taken about 20 mins later than the first, if you look closely you will see subtle changes in the AR as well.

That explains it thanks, looking more closely I now see several slight changes as well as the AR, I initially thought it might be something to do with filters. Amazing how features nearly as big as the earth can appear and disappear over such short time scales. ?

I took too long to post my full reply

This is why I like sol and jove as a counterpoint to the DSO stuff I do.

Don't get me wrong though my main passion is deep sky its just it takes longer to get the images, the sol images are 60 secs max though there may be a good few if i get a good day, they take me a while to transfer stack and process, but I can have a sol image in about 20 mins if I get a wiggle on and a bit longer for a jove as they are normally rgb and maybe a L in the form of IR742 of late.

Though having said that I recently took over 100gig of sol data in one afternoon ( bigger chip size and smaller pixels ) and I have a backlog of Joves if I get them done and they are worth showing, local seeing can change dramatically in a short time at high resolution (for me)

My DSO's take days if not weeks months or even years as I add data, if I can get good data that is and if i can get a good process of the data. I will fiddle about with slightly different flavours and that is why sometimes I will post multiple versions of the same object.

At the moment I have 3 DSO targets in the can but cannot get an image that I am happy with and it is mainly down to colour noise - thats why many of my DSO's are mono.

The unfriendly street lamp has a lot to answer for.

Lucky that I can get away with  the time I spend on astro and that Helen also has a hobby.

It also probably helps that you don't need to sleep. I can usually guarantee that if I'm suffering a touch of insomnia at 4am. I will go on EMS and find Ibbo and often Graham online. ?

That's dedication. Keep these brilliant images coming. ?

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 14:15, Ibbo said:

I do need sleep -I just do it at different times to normal folks.

Define "normal"! I work weird hours at times, so don't have a regular sleep pattern.

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 03:49, Ibbo said:

I took too long to post my full reply

This is why I like sol and jove as a counterpoint to the DSO stuff I do.

Don't get me wrong though my main passion is deep sky its just it takes longer to get the images, the sol images are 60 secs max though there may be a good few if i get a good day, they take me a while to transfer stack and process, but I can have a sol image in about 20 mins if I get a wiggle on and a bit longer for a jove as they are normally rgb and maybe a L in the form of IR742 of late.

Though having said that I recently took over 100gig of sol data in one afternoon ( bigger chip size and smaller pixels ) and I have a backlog of Joves if I get them done and they are worth showing, local seeing can change dramatically in a short time at high resolution (for me)

My DSO's take days if not weeks months or even years as I add data, if I can get good data that is and if i can get a good process of the data. I will fiddle about with slightly different flavours and that is why sometimes I will post multiple versions of the same object.

At the moment I have 3 DSO targets in the can but cannot get an image that I am happy with and it is mainly down to colour noise - thats why many of my DSO's are mono.

The unfriendly street lamp has a lot to answer for.

Lucky that I can get away with  the time I spend on astro and that Helen also has a hobby.

I haven't yet been able to add data to DSO photos where the subs were taken on different days. I'm experimenting less these days but my latest project is taking afocal solar images with a DSLR.