• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astromaster 70 AZ - any good?

Dean Watson

And before you all go storming in... any one who knows me here knows I run a CPC 1100 with piggybacked 4 inch semi apo and all the trimmings...! No, was at a car boot down the road today and saw one of these (as above) going, minus eyepieces (not looked up yet what it comes with) going for 12 quid.  I mean, the reasonably decent altaz mounts got to be worth that for a light grab and go (seems reasonably decent quality).  Thought i'd get it for my 7 year old (and for me to pratt about with when I cant be bothered with alignment and whatnot...)

Optics seem alright too, not tested them yet though...

Decent little find for a bit of nonsense?

It's got to be worth a punt for £12. I don't think the optics are too bad, like you say it's just the back end what lets it down. A decent diagonal and eyepiece in it might be a decent little scope.

4 minutes ago, BAZ said:

It's got to be worth a punt for £12. I don't think the optics are too bad, like you say it's just the back end what lets it down. A decent diagonal and eyepiece in it might be a decent little scope.

Yeah, though for a cheap and cheerful focusser its not too bad - I'll stick one of my nice dielectrics on the back...! mmm... maybe not... One cannot as they say make a silk purse etc.  Ita a bit novel reaching for an eyepiece.  I do everything with cameras these days... Do people still look through scopes? 

Kidding, kidding...! Cor, who knew all you visual types could be so sensitive! Come on, come to the darkside, you know you want to!

I'd be worried they'd be insufficient back travel for my binoviewer to reach focus ?

31 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

I'd be worried they'd be insufficient back travel for my binoviewer to reach focus ?

Two eyes not one? Double the barbarian!  Cameras, thats what you need, lots of lovely cameras!

i have cameras, and a generic ignorance of how they work.

Just now, Bino-viewer said:

i have cameras, and a generic ignorance of how they work.

Actually, come to think of it, so do I !

• Haha 1