• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

QHY Polemaster

RonC

Is the QHY Polemaster really worth the money?

I cannot see it saving time and you have to have your laptop near the mount to adjust!

Apart from maybe a slightly more accurate PA and not getting a damp bum/knees I cannot see that the cost is worth while?

Comments please?

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron

I have a Polemaster having tried Sharpcap and PHD for alignment. Yes you are correct for what it is it’s expensive.  

All I can say is that the ease of use, accuracy are superb. The time it takes to align is really quick less than 5 minutes, for me having a setup that is broken down after every viewing session,  I need every bit of time saving kit, and this really ticks all boxes 

Ron if you have a android phone there is a beta app working with QHY

Hi Alec, my set up doesn't move (except for excursions!)  so it may not be so useful??

Have you got the app name please??

Thanks

Ron

My setup is fixed and i can see the monitor for the polemaster software so for my set up the alignment takes literally 2 mins to complete as settings are saved from your previous alignment, because its the same fixed position every time its unbelievably quick...

Hi Ron

if you do a search on the net you will find it. I’m on a iPhone so use to me atm.

i can`t see the point of pole master anymore, sharpcap does exactly the same thing using your guide camera, takes a few images and solves, rotate the mount 90 degrees, it solves again then you simply adjust the mount to correct the alignment, there is also a polar alignment tool in PHD 2 now, sharpcap 2.9 if free, version 3 is a tenner i believe.

As far as i can comment, its only that the polemaster when i have used it is quite accurate, even for my imaging rig unguided on the 106

Perhpas the 130 would struggle more