• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Televue Nagler 31mm

djpaul

Hi all

Does anyone here own a Nagler 31mm ?

Thoughts on this eyepiece would be great.

It seems to be the ultimate stargazing eyepiece to own for wide views according to most sites i have looked on.

Paul

It was pretty much the ultimate wide field eyepiece for a long while. I used to have one up to about 10 years ago and it really was superb. You'll struggle to get a better eyepiece to take in the maximum FOV possible in a 2" eyepiece. You can't really go wrong with the 31mm Nagler, there is nothing not to like about it if the weight doesn't bother you. I think Doc, Binoviewer and Seven Legs still use one.

Hi Paul,

Yes, i have the big N31.

Mine is pretty much unused at present.

Binoviewing nearly 100% of the time is the reason for this.

I can't seem to use mine with my F4 Newtonian. Way too big an exit pupil.

This means when i look through it the sight of the secondary mirror is all too obvious in the fov.

Its there with my 24s as well, though not nearly as noticeable, especially when using both eyes.

and the human brain does a good job here of optimising the view so its not an issue.

The N31 actually worked very well when i had the 10" F6.3.

For me though 2 x 24mm for low power viewing wins every time. 

Mono vision just doesn't do it for me any more.

Stunning views through the Dob with the bino + 24s. Nothing i've looked through mono can compete.

But i'm not trying to tell you to go down the 2 eyed route.

You are interested in the N31.

Build quality is exemplary as with all Tele-vue gear.

It will give you a tremendous 82º fov. I believe the 41mm Panoptic is slightly wider,

and the widest fov you can get with 2" eyepieces, but i bet its a closely run thing.

It performs exceptionally well as long as you can accommodate the big exit pupil.

I have quite small pupils and they are only going to get worse.

If you are interested in buying mine, i might be persuaded to sell, but i'm not desperate to get rid. Maybe i'm being sentimental ?!!

Its my oldest eyepiece (probably 10 years old) but i look after them, and its in excellent nick.

I didn't realise the price of them new (good grief : are they really £600+ ??)

I half thought about a 21mm Ethos a while ago, but the cost literally made that a no go.

I won't be buying any more big 2 " glass anymore.

PM me if you are interested in mine. Have a think about it.

Just noticed you already have a 32mm SW Panaview.

Not sure how that would compare to the big N31 ?

Also ES have a very good range of wide fields.

I've looked through an ES 30/82 and it was excellent : no noticable difference between that and my N31. At least not throgh my eyes.

But i'm certainly no Bill Paolini or Stephen James O'Meara ! ?

I do like the panaview .so comfortable to use.

But not sharp at the edge of FOV.

I did consider a 41mm Panoptic but would lose magnification , hence my thoughts of the N31

i have PM'ed you about the N31 

let me know your thoughts 

Paul

I have the 26mm and 38mm panaviews. For me they are great value for the money. The 26mm is a great fuzzy hunter and the 38mm is lovely widefield eyepiece, getting most of M45 in it.

Im now considering one of these 30mm Explore Scientific 82° Eyepiece

47 minutes ago, djpaul said:

Im now considering one of these 30mm Explore Scientific 82° Eyepiece

You get a lot of eyepiece for your money with Explore Scientific. ?

Okay so i been offered a Panoptic 35mm secondhand £225

Should get it in the post before the weekend

Paul

2 hours ago, djpaul said:

Okay so i been offered a Panoptic 35mm secondhand £225

Should get it in the post before the weekend

Paul

Hope you enjoy the Panoptic it is a very nice eyepiece. ?

The 35mm 68 degree Panoptic is nice but don't you think it is just a better quality version of the 32mm 70 degree Panaview you already have?

The real "Spacewalk Experience" comes in at 82 degrees.

Yes it is a replacement for my panaview. Three panaview is not sharp last third of fov. I'm hoping the panoptic is

20 hours ago, djpaul said:

Yes it is a replacement for my panaview. Three panaview is not sharp last third of fov. I'm hoping the panoptic is

Are you still going for a big 82 degree eyepiece? The Nagler 31mm first got me addicted to wider angles way back in 2000. Now with 92, 100, 110 and even 120 degree eyepieces, the N31 seems a bit narrow to me, but I think you'd love 82 degrees. And you know it is going spot on sharp across the field. ?

I did try to convince bino viewer to sell me his N31mm.  But he can't be persuaded.  Lol.

I will use the panoptic 35mm for a while. And if I finally find an N31mm for sale ill get it. And sell on the panoptic. 

Also I'd like bino viewer to know when he's ready to let his N31mm go i would like first refusal. ?

I had a 35mm Panoptic but sold it, didnt do my home work first and got loads of kidney beaning in my F6 Newt, so much so that it became unusable quite quickly, which was a shame as when I did get my eye just right and manged to stay very still, the quality right at the edge of the FOV was superb.

I hope it's fine with my 120ed f7.5?

Maybe a televue eye guard would help me get the sweet spot.

TV 35mm Panoptic arrived today.

Will let you know what is like against my SW 32mm Panaview as soon as theres a clear night.

Paul

2 hours ago, djpaul said:

TV 35mm Panoptic arrived today.

Will let you know what is like against my SW 32mm Panaview as soon as theres a clear night.

Paul

Please do, that will be an interesting comparison. I've never looked through a Panoptic.

Whilet waiting for a clear sky to report on the 35mm panoptic. 

I've just looked on astronomy tools fov and realise I'm missing something for mid low magnification. 

So hopefully to finish my collection for a while I'm looking to either buy a 27mm x 33mag panoptic or even better a 22mm nagler x 40 mag. As both give similar fov