• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Depth of hole for Pier

Alec

Whats the recommended depth and size of hole to dig for concreating my pier in place. So far I have dug out a 2 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet deep hole is this deep and big enough? 

Bigger is always better. I think 2 feet is a bit on the small size.

I used a cubic metre of concrete when I did my pier.

10 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Bigger is always better. I think 2 feet is a bit on the small size.

I used a cubic metre of concrete when I did my pier.

Not a problem to increase, just a starting point thx 

Mines  850 MM deep with rebar 600mm sq

Rebar_Mount Foundation

Edited by Bottletopburly

The only other thing to consider is how to move it in the future if you have to. A few of you may remember Rob Hodgekinson, Doc will, he's been trying to remove his and has killed one demolition hammer on it. Unless you are like Perlil8r and cunningly disguise it! ? The people that bought his old house probably have no idea what lurks under the decking.

36 minutes ago, BAZ said:

The only other thing to consider is how to move it in the future if you have to. A few of you may remember Rob Hodgekinson, Doc will, he's been trying to remove his and has killed one demolition hammer on it. Unless you are like Perlil8r and cunningly disguise it! ? The people that bought his old house probably have no idea what lurks under the decking.

Good point, I removed my pier and its cubic metre of reinforced concrete.

Hired three different jack hammers. The first two electric ones broke, the third was a giant hydraulic pneumatic thing that I could hardly lift. Spent most of a weekend sweating buckets, bruises all over, pulled my back and thought I'd developed vibration whitefinger! Nearly killed me!

I'd told my wife I could disguise it, but she was having none of it! ?

Edited by Tweedledee