• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

1906 San Francisco Earthquake

Bino-viewer

Some fascinating footage here, showing San Francisco immediately before, and then after the great 1906 earthquake and fire

which destroyed most of the city. 

When you consider its 112 year old footage, i think its quite remarkable.

The sobering bit is one day it will happen again. But when ? In my lifetime ? Maybe.....maybe not.

• Like 2

To see the before and after films, really makes you think. Hopefully they rebuilt the place to stand up better to the next earthquake.

Thanks for sharing. ?

You’d assume a lot of the modern buildings would be designed to withstand a major quake, however i bet they are not up to Japenese standards. 

The 1906 event measured 7.9 on the Scale. The next one may be a lot higher....? (I’m not a seismologist btw)

It's scary that a huge amount of our worlds population live in major earthquake or active volcano regions. There are three volcano's in Italy, I can't remember which one, but there is a major city right below it.

Edited by BAZ

That would be Napoli (Naples) Martyn.

Overlooked by Mt Vesuvius, which is a very dangerous volcano. It last erupted in 1944.

That's the one. I know that the science has improved to predict eruptions, but it can't be comfortable living there.

I was in a 6.8 in New Zealand but my wife survived a 9.0. She doesn't remember it, as she was only a few months old. She's seen buildings fall down in an 8.8.