• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

National Memorial Arboretum

Craig

Although not common knowledge, I was diagnosed with an inflammatory joint disease a few months ago so haven't been able to do anything in the meantime. After months of treatment, I'm finally able to get out more and start doing the things I enjoy.

Astronomy next? I hope so!

Today I visited the National Memorial Arboretum. It's a superb place, I highly recommend a visit to it.

WWI Tribute.

A memorial to the soldiers of WWI.

Shot at Dawn...

Shot at Dawn

Lost at Basra, at only 18 years old.

Lives lost at Basra

The Armed Forces Memorial, in early morning sunlight.

The Armed Forces Memorial in early sunlight.

And again, slightly later...

The Armed Forces Memorial

A tribute to a fallen soldier, which really brings it home...

In His Memory

A section of the Burma railway, which was built using slave labour under horrendous conditions.

Burma Railway

I ache...

Sorry to hear of your problems Craig. Glad things are improving for you. ?

I've been to the National Memorial Arboretum. A very interesting and unusual place. I went in February I think, and although it was a fine day, I got chilled to the bone by a freezing wind! You picked a lovely day to go. ?

5 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Sorry to hear of your problems Craig. Glad things are improving for you. ?

Cheers Pete.

It's my fourth or fifth visit, I never tire of going. Today was definitely a good day to go, though carrying a backpack with camera kit in it meant I worked a little harder than perhaps I should have in the heat!

Did you see the WWI trench when it was there? Sadly it's gone now.

Not sure if we saw the trench you mean. It is a very nice place and we intend to go again, in better weather as we regularly have long weekends staying at Wychnor Park Country Club which is only several miles away from the arboretum.

The NMA is a special place.

My father-in-law lives just a mile up the road in Elford.

We also have a good friend - Clare, who works at the NMA as a meet and greet, and runs things when theres big events on there.

I've only been the once : i must go again, and take my son. When i was there last, the place had only been open a year or so, and its evolved 

quite a lot since then looking at your images Craig.

Sorry to hear you've been struggling Craig ; fingers crossed you are on the mend.?

Edited by Bino-viewer

Hope yo start feeling better soon Craig. The photo's are excellent, really makes you think of the past and indeed the present.

• 3 weeks later...

We did a fair at the NMA over May bank holiday. I had never really been around it before and its a very poigniant place as well as interesting.

I too have been using photography to get me out again over the past few years. Feb 2017 I was having to use two walking sticks to walk, ME exasipated arthritis in the knees. Going out with the camera at the local nature reserve did it for me, I could hobble the 100yds between the car park and the main hide initially, a year later I was walking the Malvern Hills. Keep at it Craig its the best recovery therapy around I reckon

I am pleased to see you are getting mobile again Craig. Onwards and upwards nice and steady. Not forgetting the support of Emma during this horrible time for you, just how did you survive that? ?

No, she was great. 

I can't wait to see you behind a scope again. You are always welcome to have a squint through mine! 

Any idea which way you are going, eyepiece or darkside?

2 hours ago, BAZ said:

Not forgetting the support of Emma during this horrible time for you, just how did you survive that?

Dominos Pizza... ?

On 24/06/2018 at 22:38, Bino-viewer said:

When i was there last, the place had only been open a year or so, and its evolved 

quite a lot since then looking at your images Craig.

It's grown quite a lot! There are memorials across the entire site, you can easily spend a day trying to see every single one.

15 hours ago, philjay said:

Keep at it Craig its the best recovery therapy around I reckon

Cheers Phil, sounds like good advice.